Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 13th, 2011 14:00

New Dell XPS 8300 constantly Locking up.. help

Hi, I bought and received a new XPS 8300 last week... Intel Core i5-2300, 8 GB RAM... having big problems right off the bat.

The computer will periodically completely freeze, rendering the mouse + keyboard useless, and the only way to get out of it is to do a hard reboot (hold power button for 5 seconds to turn off, then turn on again). There's no blue screen of death, rather the image on the monitor just freezes. This is happening upwards of once every hour, which is completely unacceptable. There's no apparent trigger, it occurs while I'm on the Internet, while I'm in MS office, while the screen saver is on, etc.

At first I thought it could be a driver problem with the monitor (my own Samsung, not from Dell), but I installed the correct drivers and it still occurs. Then I figured it could be malware (even on a new computer), but a thorough scan revealed nothing. I'm now concerned that this is a CPU heat issue, and have taken to temporarily putting a full-size fan in front of the tower case, which is already well-ventilated. This has apparently slowed down the frequently of the hangs, but they still arise. I have already installed a few programs and transferred a few files, and really don't want to go through the hassle of returning the case to Dell for weeks on end.

Any thoughts? Anyone having similar problems? This is maddening.

7 Posts

August 1st, 2013 04:00

So I called the out of warranty support today. Told them that when my computer randomly freezes, and I cant always restart it rightaway. I told them that I think the problem is with the motherboard or power supply, since all other tests have passed 100%.

The guy at support thinks I have a motherboard problem (the LAN port already failed on me few months back, so I bought a separate LAN PCI card). Support thinks the power supply is fine, because there is still a green light on next to the power supply on the back of the computer. The green light is always on, even when the computer is switched off.

They offered me to buy a new motherboard and install it myself (which I probably can), or have a Dell technician come and do it, for an added fee. I'm still a bit worried that I might be buying the wrong part.  :(

12 Posts

October 13th, 2013 06:00

So been years facing this issue, as tech support is useless.

I checked my RAM with CPU-Z  and it says under SPD, under all 4 slots that my RAM is Samsung and not Nanya so what could be the next thing that could fix this issue?

1 Message

November 14th, 2013 18:00

I am having same problems as the OP and others.

Have had my xps 8300 for a while and now it locks up far too often.

I have replaced the RAM, the graphics card, drivers, etc....same problem.

Pulled the CMOS battery....same problem.

Why can no one give a real answer? From Dell, that is. Can they just admit the mobo is a piece of junk? I paid good money for this thing and it can't be left on or it locks up.

Also, I've had the mobo replaced by Dell when I had warranty. I am guessing the same thing is happening.

I considered buying another mobo but if it's the same one as before it will likely be equally gimp.

1 Message

January 27th, 2014 13:00

A year after I purchased the XPS 8300 I began to have the same symptoms as many users.  Constant lock ups and intermittent freezing no matter what I was doing and it got to the point that it was unusable.  I replaced the RAM thinking that might be the problem - took out the battery put it back in, change the C6 in Bios - all to no avail.

On some boots I noticed that the raid0 would say error on disk 0 and getting into windows took like 10 minutes!  I thought it might be the hard disk.  First, I did my recovery disks (with Dell Datasafe) and removed the Raid Array0 set up and made the two hard drives independent. I restored back to factory settings. 

I tested the disk 0 and it worked perfectly fine.  To be on the safe side though, I did replace drive0 later on with a 1TB and kept disk1 500 gigs for storage. 

I'm wondering if part of the problem on some XPS 8300 systems is that the Raid Array0 becomes corrupt overtime causing the intermittent freezing.  If one disks goes bad, chances are you will lose your information with raid0 anyway.  It's independent hard drives for me!

I know that each system is different and what works for one may not work for all.  This is only my experience and solution.  Hope it helps someone else.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 27th, 2014 15:00

All fans (power supply, processor, video card, case) start to spin, then shut off after like 1 second.

Those symptoms can be caused by a short; perhaps there's a bent pin in one of your USB ports?

27 Posts

January 27th, 2014 15:00

My 8300 just died last week after only 2.5 years.  The mobo starting showing symptoms after one year, just out of warranty (go figure) but managed to survive almost another 1.5 years.

Won't power.  All fans (power supply, processor, video card, case) start to spin, then shut off after like 1 second.  No POST.  Removing RAM, battery, video card, diff power supply, all the normal test stuff didn't do squat. Took it to a shop to look at in case I missed something and they said the same thing - mobo.

Ordered another Dell (go figure) because the price was right.  Bought the three year warranty because now I am just paranoid.  Pretty disappointing the mobo would die after that little amount of time.  The other three Dell PCs on my account are running strong, and longer (3, 4 and 5 years of being on 24-7).

12 Posts

November 3rd, 2014 15:00

I am still facing this issue 3 years on and no fix in sight, dell UK wont own up to an issue and do the same [Admin NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU] diagnostics and all that [Admin NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU] 

when is this going to be fixed?

1 Message

December 1st, 2014 16:00

I've read that the problem is with the mouse/keyboard. One guy fixed it by switching over to a wireless mouse. Has anyone tried this yet? Also try switching out the keyboard.

I've been having the same issue after 3 years of the computer working properly. I've noticed lately that the mouse is losing connectivity due to a kink in the cord and it comes back sometimes if I play with the cord. I can hear a warning sound when the mouse loses connectivity.

1 Message

January 5th, 2015 09:00

Dell xps 8300 with intel core i7 2600, and 12 gb ram.

Experiencing same problem, the desktop will hang and then show blue screen of death. Created a separate profile/user and logged in but the same problem appears.

Dell Techs - Please help.

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 5th, 2015 10:00

Dell xps 8300 with intel core i7 2600, and 12 gb ram.

Experiencing same problem, the desktop will hang and then show blue screen of death. Created a separate profile/user and logged in but the same problem appears.

Dell Techs - Please help.

Thanks.

You should start a new thread and be sure to include the version of Windows and exactly what the BSOD says.

And keep in mind this is a user-to-user forum and not a way to contact Dell Tech Support directly.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 5th, 2016 08:00

pedrocruel,

An XPS desktop sold in 2010 would not have any warranty left. So they cannot "return the Tower and ask for a new one".

1 Message

July 5th, 2016 08:00

It sounds like it may be time to return the Tower and ask for a new one. I am truly impressed you have the will to not give up on it though. All I can hope for is that I do not encounter the same problems.

6 Posts

August 7th, 2016 07:00

I have one of these en route right now.  I went with the i5-2400 and the ATI 6670.  Hopefully no issues...

5 Posts

August 8th, 2016 08:00

well, actually, so far I didn't do anything to fix it and the problem hasn't occured recently, so i'm guessing it was just a blip in the computer preformance. thanks for all the feedback and advice. As a sidenote, is the graphics card AMD radeon 6770 any good? I was thinking of getting it since I only have 6450.

No Events found!