Highlighted
asiimov
1 Copper

New Dell XPS 8700 overheating and shutdown itself

Jump to solution

I bought my new XPS 8700 4 days ago and first problem is there, my pc is extremly overheating and i dont know why, i have it on my desk so no dust can damage it also it have enough space around fans.

The problem is that the pc is overheating even when im not doing anything, its enough to turn on a few sites and after some while pc crashes - the screen just goes black. Last time it happened i had only song on YouTube and i was typing on Facebook when suddenly screen goes black and pc shuted down itself, ive checked CPUID HWMonitor where i found out that my graphic card is about 70-85°C.

Second crash is almost same as the first one but with that difference that pc stay turned on and just monitor show message "Entering power save mode" and cant be waked up so i have to hold start key for 10sec to restart my PC. Im a bit scared because im sure it wont be caused by any software just because the computer is 4 days old and i didnt even open the case (im not sure if i may just because of warranty).. What should i do ? is it necessary to call Dell support or can i solve this any better way?

My PC specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 Haswell, RAM 16GB, AMD R9 Radeon 270 2GB, SSD 32GB + HDD 2000GB 7.2k,  Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RoHe
6 Indium

RE: New Dell XPS 8700 overheating and shutdown itself

Jump to solution

Sorry to hear that! [:'(]

If it's only a few days old, contact Dell Tech Support ASAP. In USA you have 21 days from invoice date (not delivery date) to request a replacement. So contact them immediately if you want it replaced. Otherwise, arrange for Dell to fix this one, hopefully at your location...

BTW: Opening the case does not void the warranty.  But if you replace any of the factory-installed hardware, Dell may ask you to reinstall the original part(s) before they honor the warranty.

Hope you get it fixed quickly!

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RoHe
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Sorry to hear that! [:'(]

If it's only a few days old, contact Dell Tech Support ASAP. In USA you have 21 days from invoice date (not delivery date) to request a replacement. So contact them immediately if you want it replaced. Otherwise, arrange for Dell to fix this one, hopefully at your location...

BTW: Opening the case does not void the warranty.  But if you replace any of the factory-installed hardware, Dell may ask you to reinstall the original part(s) before they honor the warranty.

Hope you get it fixed quickly!

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
asiimov
1 Copper

Jump to solution

thank you for your answer Smiley Happy

i just wanted to know if i can do anything else because you know... a lot of work and than even work with pc its a bit annoying but.. whatever, i will contact support

0 Kudos