Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2015 16:00

New Inspiron 3656 Desktop AMD, Why a Laptop Processor?

I have received my 3656 i was so excited with the specs but did not know about the APU. Traditionally APUs have been paired with video cards in their class. After researching the 8800p APU, I thought well hey dell built a little power house. The APU when used in a Laptop is designed to operate at 15w to save battery up to 35 watts of power TDP and is capable of crossfire with 360M laptop discrete video card. I was disappointed, Dell has chosen to keep the TDP at 15w under utilizing APU and no Crossfire with R9 360 which would have boosted the video performance of the machine. To call this a Gamer Desktop is a joke. I did not expect XPS performance out of an AMD gaming computer. I did expect fully utilized hardware that was designed to work well together. What happened?

1 Message

June 3rd, 2016 12:00

Probably because of heating issues. The fan and sink on the processor is very small compared to desktop processors. Still, it's disappointing to see there is virtually no reason to put this particular APU in this rig with a crippled frequency clock rating.

1 Message

May 13th, 2017 13:00

Yeah I also own this, fx8800p with r9 360. Really disappointed with myself for purchasing this rig. I'm have little knowledge of these kinds of things but I'm looking into possible changes of this thing. I play lots of path of exile and it runs terribly. Have you done anything to this machine?

No Events found!