DELL-Appu S
DellEMC

RE: New Inspiron One 2330 Fan Noise

Hi Wurlitzer1015,

Downgrading the BIOS version may not be possible. Please see this article Troubleshooting Fan Noise. Ensure that the air vents are clean.

Also, boot in BIOS and observe the noise of the fan. Power off the computer -> Restart the computer, tap F2 on Dell logo 2-3 times -> This will take you to BIOS screen. Wait for some time and check if the noise is still there.

0 Kudos
Dfink36
2 Bronze

One simple, albeit round about, fix that seems to work for me is to hit the
sleep button (picture of a moon on it) on the right hand side of the keyboard.  Once asleep the fan
stops and does not restart when you wake it up.

Hope that helps.

Wurlitzer1015
2 Bronze

Thanks for your reply, there was a typo in my first message, I meant  I can’t go back to the previous bios..

All vents are clean.

1.       I did as suggested and rebooted and pressed F2 to enter the BIOS setup, I left in this state for around 10 minutes, no fan noise.

2.       I exited the BIOS and rebooted, after around 10 seconds the fan noise was back.

3.       I rebooted and pressed F12 then enter diagnostics.

4.       All looked OK except a table showing the thermistor temps was a worry…

Thermals:                            Current                High                       Low

CPU Thermistor:               59                           60                           59

Video Thermistor             126                         126                         126

And a warning underneath regarding the thermal thermistor

A warning then popped up and a lot of beeping…

Error Code:         2000-0314

Validation:          66848

Msg:                      Thermal  temperature [video thermistor] reading 126C exceeds the thermal limit.

After hitting “OK” the table above then read:-

Thermals:                            Current                High                       Low

CPU Thermistor:               59                           60                           59

Video Thermistor             49                           126                         48

Seems there is a problem, could the fan noise be from the Video CPU, what to do?

Windows is also reporting the following from the PC solver….

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20130825-0922.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 141
BCP1: FFFFFA800C67F4D0
BCP2: FFFFF8800130E28C
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000234
OS Version: 6_2_9200
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

These errors are repeated in the windows log a few times every day over a couple of weeks..

0 Kudos
DELL-Appu S
DellEMC

Hi Wurlitzer1015,

This seems to be a faulty hardware and we might have to get parts replaced; most likely the heat-sink and fan. If you system is in warranty, then send me the Service tag and first and last name via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation). Please see What is a Dell Service Tag and How Do I Find It?

0 Kudos
Wurlitzer1015
2 Bronze

Thanks for the response, I couldn't find the link to "Start Conversation" so I've sent you the servcie tag and my name in a private message.

Regards..

0 Kudos
DELL-Appu S
DellEMC

Hi Wurlitzer1015,

I have sent you a private message. Please reply with the required information; will take it further.

0 Kudos
Wurlitzer1015
2 Bronze

Just to close this out and this may be of help to other people with a similar problem.

DELL contacted me through private message and after a few emails the following actions were taken:-

1. DELL replaced both fan units, the CPU fan and the video card fan. This didn't resolve the problem the video card fan continued to run constantly.

2. DELL replaced the motherboard but found that a 4Gb RAM chip was now malfunctioing. They left me with just 4GB RAM and would return the next day with a new 4Gb RAM chip.  After replacing the motherboard the video fan was still running continuously.

3. The next day they returned with the new 4Gb RAM chip, this also proved faulty so they determined the fault was with the new board they replaced at step 2. above

4. The next day they returned with another motherboard, thiis now worked with both 8Gb RAM chips, but the video fan still ran continously.

At this point I was becoming frustrated with DELL and their trial and error approach to solving this problem so I informed them to not bother any more, I'd look in to it further as I was convinced it was a video driver or firmware fault or a combination of the A13 BIOS and the installed video drivers.

I downloaded the latest available AMD driver for the video card from the DELL site, this made no difference the fan still ran continuously so then download the "latest" INTEL HD graphics driver from the DELL site and installed.  While installing I was informed that the installed driver was newer than the one I was trying to install but I accepted to option to install it anyway.  The driver I installed was version 8.982.10.6000.

After doing this (installing an older Intel HD graphics driver), the fan stopped!!  All is now well.

The problem appears toi be an incompatibility between the A13 BIOS and the latest Intel HD graphics driver so something DELL should look in to.

All the messing around changing hardware was a waste of time and was just a driver/BIOS issue as I originally suggested to DELL.

I wasn't impressed with DELL's fault finding abilities and they seem to waste a lot of their own time and money using a rial and error approach.  Their onsite technicians certainly don't meet the grade, when they came to address point 1. above it took them 30 minutes and consultation with the DELL online technician training portal to work out how to open the PC and then were very rough and unearthed in replacing the fans, they seemed more concerned with sending and receiving private SMS while onsite.

Rating?

Online support: 5/5 - very responsive and helpful

Onsite support: 1/5 - that's being generous - techs were obviously just school boys with no training.

I'd give DELL 5/5 for persistence though, they would keep on changing parts forever it seems but they get 0/5 for diagnostics and not listening to the customer.

All well that ends well I suppose.

DELL-Appu S
DellEMC

Hi Wurlitzer1015,

We do understand that sometimes diagnosis may be incorrect. Thank you for sharing your experience. We will take this as a feedback and will forward it to the concerned team.

0 Kudos