Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2008 20:00

New Memory Installed (OCZ SLI-Certified DDR2-800)

I just installed my first two gigs of the DDR2-800. I wanted to post a couple of screenshots for you all to see. I selected EPP/SLI configuration in the bios and these are rated at 2.1v but cpu-z shows them running at 1.8-2.0v. Is something wrong or does this seem and look right?I thought DDR2-800 meant it would run at 800mhz, so why does it show it as 400mhz and under?

I tried to play COD4 and my pc froze up and I had to reboot it and I removed the DDR2-800 ram. If the new bios update enables the XPS 710 mainboard to support DDR2-800, why would my system just crash with it installed?

Do I need to get DDR2-800 ram rated at 1.8v ?

Message Edited by PH3N0M on 10-10-2008 05:01 PM

14.4K Posts

October 10th, 2008 22:00

Your memory is running at 800 mhz at the EPP setting. I see no problem. I would not worry about whay your voltage is as you might be confusing the max voltage you can put to the chips with what it needs. By the profile listing it only needs 2.0v.

What is your settings when you have EPP turned off?

Have you also turned off your Bios spread spectrum settings using the ntune dynamic bios page. 

650 Posts

October 10th, 2008 22:00

@Davet50 wrote:

Your memory is running at 800 mhz at the EPP setting. I see no problem. I would not worry about whay your voltage is as you might be confusing the max voltage you can put to the chips with what it needs. By the profile listing it only needs 2.0v.

What is your settings when you have EPP turned off?

Have you also turned off your Bios spread spectrum settings using the ntune dynamic bios page. 

Have I turned off my spread spectrum settings? Huh?  lol  When EPP/SLI is disabled in the bios, my memory runs a 1.95v. With EPP/SLI enabled, the NVidia control panel shows it running at 2.1v. 

Well, I tried running it in NON-EPP and then I tried running it EPP and it gave me a BSOD each time. What a waste.
Message Edited by PH3N0M on 10-10-2008 07:06 PM

139 Posts

October 10th, 2008 23:00

@PH3N0M wrote:

I just installed my first two gigs of the DDR2-800. I wanted to post a couple of screenshots for you all to see. I selected EPP/SLI configuration in the bios and these are rated at 2.1v but cpu-z shows them running at 1.8-2.0v. Is something wrong or does this seem and look right?I thought DDR2-800 meant it would run at 800mhz, so why does it show it as 400mhz and under?

___________________________________________________________________________________

To answer your question about CPU-Z showing your memory at 399mhz - don't forget its running dual channel. So multiply the 399Mhz times 2 and you get near your expected rating of 800Mhz. That's just the way CPU-Z shows the memory speed. 

650 Posts

October 11th, 2008 00:00

I just wish I could get it to work without crashing on me. :|

650 Posts

The bsod code it gives me is 0x0000008E which references a problem with the ram. All I have in the Dynamic Bios option is the cpu multiplier which is set at (2). I don't have anything else.

14.4K Posts

open the nvidia control panel and look for the dynamic bios page.

On that page will be bios settings that are not available under the normal bios. 

There will a bunch of differen spread spectrum settings. Set each one of these to disabled and reboot to make them stick. 

So your memory voltage is changing with EPP on or off. This is showing that the memory is working as it is supposed to with the differnt SPD's being activated. 

What are the BSOD codes. 

133 Posts

October 11th, 2008 12:00

When i enable EPP mem support in XPS 720 (corsair dominator 4GB kit). it comes BSOD... first time, it's faulty RAM stick. After installing replacement, it was much better, however, occasionally the system still crashed (still had problem with Memtest86+ v2.01, can't pass without error). I also tested the replacement kit in my friend's XFX 780i mobo, ran memtest86+ for three times with no error, which indicated the RAMs were no error. I contacted with corsair support, they told me it must be somthing wrong with mobo, fortunately they still agreed to exchange me the third set.  

Alternatively, i put my mate's G.Skill 4gb DDR2-800 EPP (4-4-4-12-2T) in my XPS, it passed memtest86+ eight times in 6 hours. I suspected my xps 720 mobo had some problem to handle PC2-8500 EPP RAM. Even the G.skill 4G kit passed memtest86+ for long time, unfortunately during the daily use, it still crashed couple of times (BSOD: memory_management)

i emailed my finding to XPS tech. report. The tech. guy told me if the third RAM still failed in memtest86+, they will issue mobo replacement.

ps, if i disable EPP/SLI in BIOS, the system never crashed. 

If ur system is under warranty, ask for MB exchange!!!

Message Edited by vvspy on 10-12-2008 01:32 AM

650 Posts

October 11th, 2008 17:00

Well, unfortunately, my pc is out of warranty and I'm not willing to drop the $300 for an XPS 720 mobo setup. That being said, I guess I'm stuck with DDR2-667. I was really hoping to get as much performance out of my system as I possibly could.

14.4K Posts

October 11th, 2008 18:00

I would post your issue on the OCZ forum. Those guys over there are very good and will more than likely make some custom SPD's to get your ram working. Their tech support is second to none.

650 Posts

October 11th, 2008 20:00

@Davet50 wrote:
I would post your issue on the OCZ forum. Those guys over there are very good and will more than likely make some custom SPD's to get your ram working. Their tech support is second to none.

I'd do that if I had purchased these from a retailer but I got them from an individual. :|

650 Posts

October 11th, 2008 20:00

@Davet50 wrote:

I'd do that if I'd purchased them from a retailer but I got them from an individual. :|

14.4K Posts

October 11th, 2008 21:00

Should make no difference i dont belive. I would give it a shot. you have nothing to lose.

133 Posts

October 12th, 2008 05:00

HI,Ph3n0m, don't worry. OCZ doesn't care if u purchase from retailers or individuals. As long as it's genuine OCZ RAM, they provides life time warranty.

I had my OCZ PC2-8500 reaper HPC exchanged with OCZ, and i got RAM second hand from a friend. 

14.4K Posts

October 12th, 2008 12:00

vvspy

Another testimonial to the excellent support that you get from OCZ. In my case they worked with me to develop some special SPD's to get all my four sticks to run at advertised speeds in my system. 

At One point they even went so far at to provide to 720 owners running A certain type of OCZ memory special SPD's that enabled them to run at 1066 on those system. They did this on their own. How many other ram vendors have done that. I will be  OCZ customer for as long as this continues. 

650 Posts

October 13th, 2008 02:00

I guess I can give it a shot. I thought about driving down to Best Buy and buying a couple of sticks of DDR2-800 just to see if I have the same thing happen. If it doesn't, then I know I have a bad ram module.
No Events found!