Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2014 14:00

New PC - Would like to wipe the OS clean. Any advice would be awesome.

Just purchased a new Inspiron 3847 with Win8.1 pre-installed and would like to gut it down to the bare bones. I have no use for all the bloat included, such as the "apps" for eBay and Amazon. Especially the one from Amazon, which has been cited as a major security/privacy hole (thanks Dell!).

So how does one go about doing this as quickly and painlessly as possible? Previously, a person could re-install from the cd/dvd that was included with the PC. Or they could create a recovery disk and clear it down to the bare essentials that way. Unfortunately, neither of those options seem to be immediately available.

I've attempted to read as much as possible about the Win8 install/re-install process and the difficulties/restrictions (BIOS-based activation keys, media reduction, locking things down to prevent piracy, etc etc etc) but it's hard to tell which of the things I'm reading apply to 8.1, when it seems many of the tutorials are written for 8.0. Also I've read that there may be other complications due to Dell being involved.

So I figured I'd ask other Dell owners and the people that are already dealing with this (either personally or via this forum). What would be the best method to accomplish a bloat-free system?

• Simply uninstall the mal/garbageware one-by-one?

• Submit a request for backup & recovery media?

• Find an 8.1 .iso from some random website and hope it's legit?

• Try this method, and hope that I can 1) extract the correct key from my BIOS; and 2) get the re-install to work with an OEM key.

• Some other option??

I've read so much (both helpful and totally bad/conflicting) that I'm starting to suffer from information overload. I need to get this done and move on. So any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

459 Posts

February 21st, 2014 15:00

Windows 8.1 OS update is currently available as a free download through the Windows Store on any Window 8 device. No purchase necessary. 

Article on how to wipe and reload: 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

WinProductkeyviewer: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/windows-8-product-key.htm

OR: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

10 Posts

February 21st, 2014 17:00

Appreciate the response 30...

However, this part of the article you linked to doesn't fit my goal...

"Refreshing your PC reinstalls Windows and keeps your personal files and settings. It also keeps the apps that came with your PC and the apps you installed from the Windows Store. Resetting your PC reinstalls Windows but deletes your files, settings, and apps—except for the apps that came with your PC. Restoring your PC is a way to undo recent system changes you've made."

I'd like to pretty much get rid of most of the junk that came with the PC (Dell utilities, McAfee trial, Office trial, Amazon "apps", etc etc).

Would downloading the Windows Store 8.1 update even work? Say I was to use it to install the OS on a completely blank drive, would it work for that purpose? I ask because I've seen conflicting information on what versions of the install will function under certain conditions.

I've also not connected the new PC to the internet to avoid activating/updating 8.1 and the various pieces of bloatware. So I'd like to be sure this option works before I attempt to connect and download anything to that machine.

Thanks for the help.

5.2K Posts

February 21st, 2014 20:00

Easiest is to uninstall what you don't need. If you try to reinstall using the OS partition, you will still have the junk. If you get a disk from dell, you may still have the junk, and you would need to reinstall all the drivers. There is no way to back up the OS without including the junk.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 22nd, 2014 11:00

If the Dell Windows 7 install disk is any indication, reinstallation from a Dell 8.1 disk will be clean.

10 Posts

February 25th, 2014 18:00

How long does it take for registration to enter the system? I've been trying to request backup & recovery media, but it keeps responding with the message... "Retail Tag detected. Please click here to proceed towards Registration."

I've already registered the computer and received the "Thank you for registering" email. Yet I continue to get this prompt, and it doesn't let me advance to the next step in requesting the disc.

What am I missing here?

10 Posts

February 27th, 2014 11:00

I've been trying to request backup & recovery media, but it keeps responding with the message... "Retail Tag detected. Please click here to proceed towards Registration."

I've already registered the computer and received the "Thank you for registering" email. Yet I continue to get this prompt, and it doesn't let me advance to the next step in requesting the disc.

I've added more detail (and some screenshots) to the request form problem, in this other thread. I think it might be time to just find a bootleg .iso and wrap this ordeal up. Clean re-installing your OS really shouldn't require this much work.

12 Posts

February 28th, 2014 05:00

i did this with dell inspiron laptop because with all the junk is was slow as hell so what i did is i found my self online a good copy of windows 8.1 i dont remember if it as to be oem or retail (but it says in description for people that windows 8.1 came preinstall) and then burn iso image i use imgburn when your finish burning iso image make sure secure boot is ON this way you wont need activation key during installation and after installation you will have a legit activated bare bones windows 8.1 activation private message me ill give you the link fro the download 100% work i did it and its very good.

10 Posts

February 28th, 2014 21:00

@stevearc

I'd PM you for the link, but for some reason it's not allowing me to enter your user name. It says "No matches found" and then deletes it from the "recipient" field.

What a great, well-functioning, user-friendly site, Dell. Excellent work.

10 Posts

February 28th, 2014 21:00

private message me ill give you the link fro the download 100% work i did it and its very good.

I finally got a CSR to send me the backup and recovery disc, but I'm not all that confident I'll be getting the proper item. I'll probably end up having to go the bootleg route at that point. Torrenting an .iso would seem to be the safer choice (more seeders = more guinea pigs), but the convenience of a direct download is pretty appealing. It's also good to have options, I guess.

Soooo, look for my PM.

12 Posts

March 1st, 2014 16:00

i send you a friend request with the link so check in your messages let me know  if anything

No Events found!