Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2017 11:00

New Power Supply Won't Work in Inspiron 620 (Old PSU works fine)

I have an Inspiron 620 and I want to upgrade the PSU so that I can install a better graphics card. The stock PSU is only 300W and doesn't have a 6-pin connector.

I've tried three new PSUs, and none of them will get it running. I connect power and the orange light on the board lights up, just like it does with the old supply. But, the power switch doesn't light up, and pressing it does absolutely nothing.

I jumped the green pin on the board connector and that fired up the fans, but it doesn't post. The power button light will come on now, too, but I get no beep, no usb power, no video. If I put in a drive, it spins up the drive. 

If I put the original 300W supply back in, it boots just fine. 

I've read many reports that any ATX PSU should work. I did read one forum where a dell guy said only 300W PSUs will work, but I've seen reports to the contrary. Is there any possibility that the PSUs I tried are incompatible? One is an EarthWatts 650, and I've tried 2 new Thermaltake 600 TR2s. I may try a Corsair or EVGA if it's likely to make a difference.

Is there a chance that something is wrong with my motherboard? I don't understand why it works with the 300 but not a 600.

Thank you for any suggestions.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 19th, 2017 10:00

First of  Most ALL ATX power supplies with 20 pin connector and only 70 percent efficiency WONT work.

Second it must be an 80 Percent BRONZE SILVER GOLD EPS12V power Supply.

The problem is too low power on the 5VSB rail and 3.3v/5v combined rails.

CORSAIR CS750M will work but a CX750 will not.

EVGA SUPER NOVA 750 B1 or G1 works fine but B2 BQ G2 does not.

You need at least 150W on the 3.3v/5v rails aka 25Amps on each

You need at least 3Amps on the 5VSB rail where many dells have 4Amps.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-110-B1-0750-VR/dp/B00K85X23O

No Events found!