Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2009 12:00

New RAM upgrade gives BSOD.

Hi, first off i apologise if this is in the incorrect location.

I own a Dell E520, warranty expired and the only upgrade made so far is a new 8600GT Graphics Card.

I decided to upgrade from 1GB to 3GB of RAM. So i looked in the online manuals for my computer, these of which told me that i require DDR2 Memory, Non-ECC, unbuffered. So, i bought two 1GB sticks of Corsair RAM from Amazon. Of course, these were Non-ECC, DDR2 and Unbuffered.

My problem is that after starting a computer, it can run for 3days without BSOD, however sometimes only 15mins before i get the BSOD. I have only got this since the upgrade. I have, like the manual told me set up the RAM like this.

DIM 1 -512mb

DIM2 -1gb

DIM3 - 512mb

DIM4 -1gb

I have also tried other varieties of putting them in but still no luck, could anybody please help me? I don't understand why this is happening if i have bought the correct RAM.

Thanks.

P.S. I have also ran virus scans ETC. but my computer appears to be clean. Just a thought, could i be in need of a new PSU to deal with this power and the 8600gt? I have hopes to also install a new HDD in the future...

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 12th, 2009 13:00

CrazyJoss

Have you tried removing the new RAM and run the system for several days with only the original memory installed and see if you still get a BSOD.

Bev.

8 Posts

January 14th, 2009 10:00

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I removed the RAM as soon as i got my next BSOD, as they usually get frequent after the first. So far so good, there have not been any BSOD's yet, just a slow computer :( Where should i go from here? Try installing just one of the new memory sticks, if i get BSOD, swap with the other and see if it is just the one stick causing the problem?

Thanks,

Joss.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 14th, 2009 11:00

CrazyJoss

Joss.

Try removing the default memory and install only the new Corsair 2x1gb memory and see what happens.

It sounds like the new Corsair RAM may not be compatible with either the default RAM, or the e520.

Bev.

8 Posts

January 25th, 2009 04:00

Hi again,

I did what you said and the computer worked perfectly for 10 days straight, however last night and thismorning the BSOD has returned.

Joss.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 25th, 2009 12:00

CrazyJoss

Check the reading of the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

What is the reading of Diagnostic Lights on the front panel?

The Diagnostic Codes are HERE.

Bev.

No Events found!