Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 28th, 2014 11:00

New Seagate 1 TB HD to replace existing 80 GB HD in Optiplex 755 Energy Smart DT

I purchased a Dell - 1 TB 3.5 Inch 7200 RPM Serial ATA Internal Hard Drive for my Optiplex 755 desktop (VISTA) to replace the existing 80 GB hard drive. I tried to download Diskwizard but was not able to. How can I copy everything from my 80 GB drive over to the 1 TB drive? Do I need to purchase a cable or can this be done some other way. Just to be clear, I want to replace not add the HD. Thank you.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 28th, 2014 13:00

Pen drive Linux is free and will "image" (or "clone") the old drive to the new. Both will have to be connected at the time of the transfer, meaning you'll need an extra SATA cable. Once the image is complete, you can use Disk Management to resize the existing partition to fill the new drive, or create new partitions. Acronis TrueImage is more user-friendly, but the retail version is at least $20.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 28th, 2014 14:00

I purchased a Dell - 1 TB 3.5 Inch 7200 RPM Serial ATA Internal Hard Drive for my Optiplex 755 desktop (VISTA) to replace the existing 80 GB hard drive. I tried to download Diskwizard but was not able to. How can I copy everything from my 80 GB drive over to the 1 TB drive? Do I need to purchase a cable or can this be done some other way. Just to be clear, I want to replace not add the HD. Thank you.

mimico1

You need a imaging utility, similar to Acronis True Image Home 2014, or Acronis Disk Director 12.

Acronis will resize the transferred partitions to match new hard drive's size.

If you buy the retail boxed version of the Seagate hard drive, a copy of Acronis should be included, this can be used only with their drives, or you can download it from Seagate website, you will also find that other hard drive manufacturers have their own free cloning software available.

First, install the new drive as the secondary and image the exsisting primary hard drive to it.

After cloning, immediately shut the system down, switch the data cable [SATA port 0] to the new drive, making the new hard drive the master and see if the system boots correctly.

Boot the system with only the new hard drive connected.

Remember to leave the original drive disconnected, until the new hard drive is working to your satisfaction.

Before cloning a hard drive, be certain that existing drive has no corruption or virus on it, as these will be transferred to the new hard drive.

A second SATA data cable will be required, there should be a spare SATA power connector inside the case.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 28th, 2014 22:00

Thank you for the reply. I purchased a SATA data cable and connected it to the new hard drive and SATA port 1 where my optical drive was connected. Unfortunately, I don't see a spare power connector in the case. Do you have any idea how I can get power to the new drive? (Optiplex 755 sff)

You could use a SATA power Y splitter, same as shown here:

Bev.

7 Posts

June 28th, 2014 19:00

Thank you for the reply. I purchased a SATA data cable and connected it to the new hard drive and SATA port 1 where my optical drive was connected. Unfortunately, I don't see a spare power connector in the case. Do you have any idea how I can get power to the new drive? (Optiplex 755 sff)

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 28th, 2014 20:00

A Molex-to-SATA power adapter?

7 Posts

June 29th, 2014 13:00

That is exactly what I needed. Connected both drives, downloaded DiskWizard from Seagate site and successfully cloned my drive. Everything is now up and running. Thank you for your detailed responses and to the others that replied.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 29th, 2014 14:00

mimico1

Pleased to have helped, happy to hear that the cloning was successful.

Bev.

No Events found!