Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

September 19th, 2010 08:00

New XPS 9100

I want to add 2 SATA HD drives to my desktop but there is only one empty plug. What do I do? There is room for 2 more drives but no plug. I tried to add a PCI

card to add the plug but there is no space to do so. No PCI support? There is one slot for PCI and the Video card is in it.

What  do I do?

Please help!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 19th, 2010 09:00

JohnnyG77083

How many SATA hard drives do you have installed in the Studio XPS 9100?

The video card is usually installed in the PCI Express x16 slot.

The motherboard has 1 PCI, 3 PCIe x1 and 1 PCI x8 slots, are any of these open?

See HERE

Bev.

September 19th, 2010 23:00

Bev:

Thank you for your reply and you're right, there is a PCI slot. I had seen it but was a liitle confused with the layout but did figure it out. I put an add-on card in it and it

didn't work and I don't know why. The system never recognized it. I reseated it a couple times and nothing.

I went back and looked at the board and found another Sata port, it was hidden on the edge of the board behind  another one that was plugged in for the 0 drive. I plugged a hard drive in the port behind and it worked fine. That meant I had 3 drives in the box which is what I wanted. However, I tried putting a 2tb drive in and it didn't work, never recognized it. But I had a 750gb and a 500gb and it recognized them both.

I have a 1tb in the zero slot from Dell. I have a 1.5tb in slot 4 and a 500 in slot 3 and all works fine. When I try to install a 2tb in place of the 500gb, it doesn't recognize it. Is it possible the system won't recognize a 2tb or maybe the drive is bad. It's brand new so i can take it back and swap it for another I guess but I just wanted to know if there are any limitations that I don't know about.

Thanks,

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 20th, 2010 08:00

JohnnyG77083

I believe that you have to enable the add-on card in the system setup.

A 2tb SATA hard drive should work in the XPS 9100.

Did you check the system setup to see if the SATA port it's connected to, is enabled [on] and if the drive is recognized in the setup, have you used Windows Disk Management to partition and format the drive and assign it a drive letter.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 20th, 2010 09:00

JohnnyG77083

You are welcome.

Bev.

September 20th, 2010 09:00

Yes, I have done all of that. I have another drive I can swap out and I have eliminated everything but the drive. Right now, Sata 2,3,4 are functioning properly with drives which proves the ports and cables. If I put that drive in, no matter which port I connect to, it won't see it. The BIOS doesn't see it. It's just not found, no matter what I do. It's as if I didn't plug anything in. I even checked the pins on the drive and none are damaged.

The drive is just DOA (dead on arrival)! I'm taking it back to get a different one.

Thanks again for your help!

No Events found!