Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2013 04:00

New XPS One 2710 loud fan noise

I just got my new XPS 2710 a week ago. All things working perfectly (Windows 8 not too exciting)  except the fan noise. I have no application consuming CPU, memory is low and no network activity still I hear the fan running a bit higher than normal.

Does anyone has seen this or has recommendation before I call support and debug.

thanks

1 Message

March 28th, 2016 19:00

this thread is pretty old but I had the same fan noise problem with my XPS 2710.  I removed the back and vacuumed, but the noise continued.  I lived with it for quite some time and decided to try one more time.  This time I used my 5 HP Shop Vac.  I took off the back, was tempted to dismantle the metal plates covering circuitry but chose not to go that far.  I vacuumed for about 10 minutes hitting every nook and cranny I could.  I used the Crevice attachment to get into tight spaces.  Much to my surprise, the noise has stopped.  You can still hear the fan but it is not loud.  I did this today and still going good after a full 12 hours.  I suspect there is dust beneath those metal covers that you will see once you take the back off.  If you are not nervous about removing them, I would not be surprised if dust is accumulating  there.  But what i did worked fine without going that far.  

1.8K Posts

January 29th, 2013 07:00

Hi pkmaster,

The fan could be running at a higher speed due to any Windows background services accessing the processor resources. However, I suggest you to run the hardware diagnostics to check if all the components are working properly and particularly on the Processor and the fan by following the steps provided in the following link:
http://dell.to/OUGnqT

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

January 30th, 2013 22:00

I have a XPS One 2710 but also a notebook, a Latitude equipped with a SSD.

On the netbook, the power control is able to tunr the fan completely off. Full deep silence.

Is there any option to turn off the fan on the XPS One 2710, when there is minimum power consumption?

Thanks
Paolo

3 Posts

January 31st, 2013 18:00

I ran the tests you suggested but no error codes show up and all tests passed. But still the fan noise is a bit loud and is distracting while using the PC

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 1st, 2013 06:00

pkmaster,

To what are you comparing the volume of the fan? Another XPS One 2710?

3 Posts

February 1st, 2013 08:00

To my other Dell Vostro desktop. Also to my dell laptop which also has windows 8.

The fan constantly runs, I never hear it spin down.

1.8K Posts

February 4th, 2013 01:00

Hi pkmaster,

Thank you for your reply and for providing the requested information. The Vostro Desktop will have more space for cooling and hence the noise would be less. As XPS One 2710 is a compact design, the sound from the fan could be more. However, I suggest you to clean the air vents with a can of compressed air and update the BIOS to the latest version by downloading it from the following link:
http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Please enter the Service Tag and download the file from the BIOS section. Let me know if you need further assistance.

3 Posts

February 16th, 2015 04:00

I have the same problem.

I'm working in a silent room writing documents and the noise of the fan is quite loud.

My computer is only four weeks old. There are no hardware problems or software issues.

My Bios is up to date

Is the fan only for the harddrive? In that case I'will consider replacing the HD with a SDD drive.

Other solutions are more than welcome.

May 17th, 2015 18:00

There hasn't been a lot said about this and I know it is an old topic, but I agree that the sound is unusually loud. I am growing very tired of the noise and recently had my computer serviced hoping to find some virtual solitude, but no luck! Just a loud desktop computer that causes much stress. I hope future generations are better,

26 Posts

May 19th, 2015 09:00

I'm having the same fan noise problem with my XPS One 2720. The first year, the noise was okay. Now it runs very loud after the computer's been on for a few minutes. It's annoying and distracting but, more importantly, I'm thinking there will come a time when the fan won't be able to cool the unit enough.

When I had a regular Dell desktop I used to open the case, vacuum all the dust, clean the fan, and replace the heat sink paste. That would solve the problem for about a year. Can't do that with my all-in-one.

Dell-Rajath N suggested cleaning the air vents with a can of compressed air. Wouldn't that just push the dust further into the unit? I tried vacuuming the vents, but they are so small that there was no effect at all.

Unfortunately, the only way I have found to slow down the fan is to put the computer on Sleep every time I walk away for a couple of minutes or even shut it down completely to allow it to cool if I'll be away from the computer for five minutes or more. I shouldn't have to do that.

I ran a diagnostics scan and everything passed.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

1 Message

June 4th, 2015 01:00

I have the same problem. The fan in on constant. I find it makes my head spin and I cannot consecrate. I think I will have to change the HD for a SSD Cannot see why the constant noise when not even doing any heavy work. You would think it would stop for a second. Don't buy the xp2720 if you need peace this will drive you mad. I see the same lame responses from tech support with no solution.   

November 27th, 2016 09:00

I've had my Dell AIO 2710 for a few years now and notice that now the fan starts up almost immediately and never stops until I shut it down. I don't know if it's a coincidence but since I did the W10 upgrade it's been like that and at the beginning with W8 it only kicked in after a while running. I also read some posts about the W10 upgrade completely breaking this machine requiring motherboard replacements. I delayed mine for nearly a year and didn't have too many problems.

Anyway back to the fan thing, would one of those laptop vacuum coolers help the (over)heating on this machine? The air coming out of the top is pretty hot. I used to have a Logitech camera sitting on there and don't know if it added to the heating problems, but removing it had no effect.

I may have a go at the vacuuming thing, the room *was* pretty dusty this year due to some building work on the house.

Cheers,

S

1 Message

February 27th, 2017 11:00

It's February 27, 2017, and I've just come across this thread.  I popped off the back of the computer and vacuumed it for a good 30 minutes or so.  Some vents/holes had dust, so l gave the back of the computer a good vacuuming.  It worked.   No loud fan noises anymore.  I agree that vacuuming is the answer.  Good luck !

No Events found!