Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

February 14th, 2010 09:00

New Zino HD 400 locks up randomly

This is a real tricky problem, because it happens at random times of day and night, often (almost always) when I am not using it and when nothing is happening on the computer.  I have it set up as a media center, plugged in only to my TV.  I generally access the computer remotely via logmein, but I do have a mouse and keyboard plugged in as well.

What happens is the computer simply goes to black - there is no error or warning, the one time it happened while I was using it, the TV simply went to blue screen as if nothing was plugged into it.  I have gone through a few troubleshooting steps, but nothing has made any difference.  The only interesting thing in the Event Viewer was that the VSS failing always seemed to be the last event logged, so I tried disabling that service and the problem continued.  I have installed all the newest drivers, though they were already all up to date (the computer is only a month old).  When the computer is locked, the power button remains lit but no peripherals indicate that the computer is on.  The optical mouse is not lit.  Interestingly, holding down the power button for 5 or 10 seconds does not cause the computer to shut off - the only way to reboot is to pull the power plug and then hit the power to turn it back on.

Oh by the way, I'm a computer technician by trade - I run my own computer support company so I help people fix problems like these every day.  My level of technical skill is expert, though my level of patience when my own equipment malfunctions is low.  I like getting paid to fix computers, I don't like having to fix my own, you know :)

Basically, the computer is shutting off completely untouched while nothing is happening!  No open programs, no obvious indication of overheating (fan noise).  When it happens the computer cannot be accessed directly on the TV, nor via logmein, nor over the network via its SMB shares.  So it's really truly locked up, not just not displaying or not connecting to the network.

This is a real problem!  Anyone have any suggestions?

10 Posts

June 17th, 2010 12:00

After 3 unsuccessfull tries of the Service to fix it I now have recieved my "Exchange-Zino HD" and the old one will be collected the next days.

The New One did not shut down now for at least 3 Days... but this is not long enough to be really sure.

I wonder if I will get a replay after they get the old one. Will they look for the error? Will they contact me and tell me a result?

Who knows. I will wait and see...

July 9th, 2010 11:00

how is your system running... seems I've the same issue...

thanks in advance...

10 Posts

July 9th, 2010 13:00

I now tested the replacement System for a certain time...

It's running well. No issues any more... and I hope there will be no comming up :emotion-5:

The old one was picked up this week. So until a possible reply it will take some more time.

I still think that the company making the Service for Dell never changed anything in 3 "repair attempts" (exept the scrached cover in the end)

10 Posts

October 3rd, 2010 05:00

The Exchanged Zino ist still working properly.

... but I got no reply what was the Problem with the Old One and why it was not possible to get it fixed in 3 tries.

... maybe the reason was so ashaming that they not dare to tell :emotion-5:

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 3rd, 2010 12:00

Dell fullfilled their responsibility by replacing the system, after 3 attempts to fix it.  Don't assume they know or even care why the first one had so many problems.

They probably tossed it into the recycle bin and that's the end of it. :emotion-4:

Ron

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 3rd, 2010 14:00

It probably be recycled as 'Refurbished' parts.  LOL   :emotion-4:

Bev.

1 Message

January 4th, 2011 16:00

I am not having these problems with mine. I even swaped the CPU for a 6850.

But I am wondering if it is shutting down because of overheating.

If you install Speedfan and run it you will see that these PC's especially the CPu gets pretty hot when running video full screen but they seem to cool down pretty fast once the CPu goes back to idle.

I have heard reports of the hard drives failing because of heat also.

I have been lucky but I usually turn it off when not in use.

pvee

1 Message

January 27th, 2011 20:00

This is exactly the problem with one of my customer's Dell Zino HD 400.  Ugh..of course I thought it was a good buy for an HTPC...it should have been fine.  I'm positive this is the same issue...screen goes black like there's no signal, no response from keyboard/mouse, power button is lit but doesn't turn it off or respond.  

Time to talk to my friends in India.  I may reference this post as evidence that they had to replace the system.

BTW...did they format your hard drive or leave it in tact?  I'll still back it up regardless! 

4 Posts

March 15th, 2011 17:00

Exact same problem with my Zino HD 400. After months of troubleshooting, Dell suggested I reformat and re-install Windows 7. I did and the problem went away for a few weeks....just long enough for the warranty to expire (5 days ago). The problem is back and happens about every other day, always when I'm away from the PC.

Now I have the option of paying $159 to extend the warranty so Dell can address a pre-existing condition...

5 Posts

March 27th, 2011 18:00

I have 2 of these - bought for my parents - both blue screen every couple months - one finally died - the HDD did anyway - will be pulling it out tomorrow. Both units are about 14 months old - but i wasn't about to have my parents call Dell (I used to work there - not in support - but i know how that works).

Anyway - it sounds like heat issues kill the HDD - but i wish i knew for sure.

I wish more people reported this as we would have a case for defective product - but there are only a handful of complaints.

BTW - they only use the things for email and web surfing - no video - so the CPU is not taxed that hard.

4 Posts

March 28th, 2011 08:00

Try going into the BIOS setup and disable "AMD Cool and Quiet."  I did that about 1 week ago and no lock-ups since. Hope that's the cause after all this trouble.

5 Posts

March 29th, 2011 08:00

Was yours gettting a blue screen with Kernel data inpage error - or just locking up.

This settings indicates that the CPU will run full speed all the time - instead of stepping down. That may help with lockup issues, but not overheating.

Thanks for the suggestion, i may try it.

4 Posts

March 29th, 2011 09:00

Never a blue screen, just a lockup exactly like the first post in this thread - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19321965/19848947.aspx

4 Posts

April 11th, 2011 12:00

Well it locked up again, so I guess disabling Coll n' Quiet didn't fix. Maybe it'll at least keep the lock-ups less frequent.

1 Message

April 11th, 2013 10:00

".  When the computer is locked, the power button remains lit but no peripherals indicate that the computer is on.  The optical mouse is not lit.  Interestingly, holding down the power button for 5 or 10 seconds does not cause the computer to shut off - the only way to reboot is to pull the power plug and then hit the power to turn it back on."

I have same problem with Dell HD ZINO.. do you have solution ? thx!

No Events found!