Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 11th, 2009 07:00

New case for my Dell desktop!

OK this guy I gave me a good dell desktop for free right, but he is a smoker and it smells too lol yuk! But I want to get a new case for it too. Cause he told me he maned handled it trying to get it open so itw warped on the case as well! So if you guys know of anything I can do, how to change cases please let me know! Thanks

P.S let me know what i need to have to change the old case with new case!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 11th, 2009 12:00

SteveRyan247

What is the Dell computer model?

Bev.

February 11th, 2009 16:00

Depends on how old it is...if its old enough to be from when Dell was using standard MiniATX and MicroATX cases, the Dell bits should just go straight in. If its new enough to use BTX though, you're out of luck.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 11th, 2009 17:00

Depends on how old it is...if its old enough to be from when Dell was using standard MiniATX and MicroATX cases, the Dell bits should just go straight in. If its new enough to use BTX though, you're out of luck.

Not always, a lot of the older Dell ATX systems have both proprietary cases and motherboards.

Bev.

February 11th, 2009 22:00

Well I have a Dell Dimension 4500, I am sure it has ATX on it! Soo if you can help great!

February 11th, 2009 22:00

Well I have a Dell Dimension 4500, I am sure it has ATX on it! Soo if you can help great!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 12th, 2009 11:00

SteveRyan247

Both the 4500 motherboard and 'Clamshell' case are Dell proprietary.

You may have problems installing a Dell motherboard into a standard ATX case.

The rear IO panel may not line up correctly, so you could have to modify that. 

Non-Dell cases and motherboards don't have the same front panel wiring connnectors that Dell use.

Dell uses a proprietary ribbon connector to the front panel, whereas standard ATX cases use Molex style connectors, you'll have to figure out how to rewire the front control panel and USB ports, because Dell has never published the details of the pin-outs.

You will require a new CPU fan, heatsink and motherboard retention bracket, as Dell's are proprietary units.

If you want to replace the case, use either a Dell 4500, 4550 or 8300 case, they are often for sale on eBay.

Can a Dell motherboard be installed in a non Dell case, yes, it can, but it will not be easy and be prepared for a lot of aggro.

Bev.

No Events found!