Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2016 16:00

New hard drive installed to XPS 435t, things going downhill ever since

My original hard drive wouldn't boot, we ran Startup Repair for hours.  Finally ran the system assessment tool and it failed the drive.  Went out and bought a replacement drive, installed it.  The new drive is a SSHD (hybrid SSD and Hard drive).  I'd been making system image backups using Windows Backup, so I inserted the System Repair disk created in 2013 and had it put the image on the hard drive.  It created a recovery partition that was NTFS as well as the C drive partition, also NTFS.  So, first question, is that recovery patron supposed to be NTFS or Fat32?  Does it matter?

The reason I ask is that initially things seemed to be fine.  However, I got continual complaints about not running Genuine Windows, even though it showed as activated.  Also, I couldn't run Windows Update.  At all.  Worked with Microsoft on those issues repeatedly.  Seemed to get Update fixed, but then started having problems with patches causing restart problems and more Genuine Windows errors.  Decided to return to factory condition, using disks created with Dell Data Safe when I first unpacked the PC on 2009.  Was excited to see it was creating the recovery partition.  However, on reboot, it now had yet another NTFS partition labeled Recovery, and the original one was now unallocated space.  And this new Recovery partition is not in the first position.  

Am thinking of just getting some partition software to merge the whole thing into one partition, but is this partition issue part of my Genuine Windows issue and/or my Update issues?  If I have the Dell disks initially received, do I need that parttion for anything?  If I do, how do I get it back at this point in the right format and position?  And if I have to create it separately, what is the right size?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 29th, 2016 16:00

Windows 7 does not and will not install on a fat32 partition.

Genuine windows is based on the COA KEY on the system.

The Dell forum DOES NOT give out new keys.

Otherwise you have to cleanly install using DELL MEDIA.

With windows 7 this is no longer available or downloadable.

4 Posts

May 29th, 2016 17:00

Not sure where those **** came from..  Word was ***.

4 Posts

May 29th, 2016 17:00

I finally removed all partitions on the new drive and started with the Dell installation disks, as opposed to the Dell-created System Recovery disks.  I am rebuildiing the entire system from scratch because I'm afraid at this point to use System Repair to put the old image on the new hard drive since it's not the same drive.  I was not looking for a new key, just some insight into why I'm having issues, and what the original Recovery partition WAS.  Right now it is NTFS.  Without knowing what the image might have for that partition, (for one thing, the partition name has changed from Recovery to System Recovery (or something like that, it's busy installing updates, can't check, but, point is, it's renamed), I'm afraid of being back where I was, with extra partitions being created when I put the image back on.  I am now creating system images about every 100 updates, which is time consuming.  Now looking into alternate back up software to *** Windows Backup, since the Dell-supplied stuff really gummed things up.  

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 29th, 2016 19:00

Not sure where those **** came from..  Word was ***.

Whatever that word was, the forum's automated censor software objected to it and replaced it with three asterisks.

The word may be entirely innocuous, but if it's on the censor's list of words to exclude...poof!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 31st, 2016 06:00

VAACUUUM is one of the banned words.

4 Posts

May 31st, 2016 11:00

As is , apparently, sup-lament, synonym for add to.  

No Events found!