Highlighted
hughhill
Bronze

Newly refurbished Dell Precission T5600 (Starts up but POST does not start)

I have recently purchased  a newly refurbished Dell Precision T5600 , when I switch it on it starts up but POST does not start? No beeps no info on screen nada! In fact my screen shows up as though its not connected with just a test signal its as though the graphic card was not connected but this is as I received it and was assured that it came from a dell re-supplier.... I did notice though that the memory inside was only 4GB when in fact it should have been 8GB, I checked to see if it was sitting all right or that the graphics card was connected properly everything seems to be fine.

I have notice that the hard drive a 500GB 2.5 is connected to a Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller (PERC) H310  which is something I have not seen/used before having used a dell precision 690 for the past 5 years. What I want to know is could this be what's stopping my system from starting up correctly?

What makes me mad is that it is under warranty until 2015 but as I have bought it from a re-supplier I have to wait a minimum of 14 days before they (Dell) will help me which is why I am here.

I hope someone can throw some light here as I am not up to scratch on this system yet but my feeble guess would be the PERC card.

System Info -

1) Dell PRECISION T5600
   - Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz
   -500GB HDD
   - 8000.00GB
   - PERC H310 Raid Controller Card
   -nVidia Quadro NVS 300 512Mb dedicated graphics
   - Windows 7 Professional
1) BASE WARRANTY
1) 3YR BASIC WARRANTY - NEXT BUSINESS DAY -
I may not be much good for now with the T5600 But I am quite good with the Precision 690 so if anyone needs help here I would be more than happy to help you out there.
Thank you
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Newly refurbished Dell Precission T5600 (Starts up but POST does not start)

I'm not familiar with your system, but within some BIOS, you can set "Option ROM" to "enable" (and "Post Delay" to "enable").

The result of doing the above is that during the boot process, where you have RAID cards involved, the motherboard BIOS hands over control to the RAID BIOS card at some point in time. So, if you hit CTRL-R (or CTRL-I or whatever the key stroke is for your specific RAID card BIOS) during the boot process (you should see some appropriate text), the RAID card will display its configuration page where you can set up the RAID type, HDD used, etc,. All this happens before you even get into the operating system... 

If the raid card BIOS is faulty or the Option ROM is not enabled and or your HDD's are not correctly configured, there is nothing to boot an OS from. So the system may look like it just sits there waiting for something to happen. 

First thing to consider is can you access the motherboard BIOS?
If not, then this is where you need to tart looking and as the unit is still under warranty, i would 1st speak to your reseller.
If you can access the mobo BIOS, check that the above settings are enabled and then reboot into the RAID BIOS configuration utility.

Best if you read the user and maintenance manuals for your workstation and RAID card before you get too far into it. They are available for download from dell.

0 Kudos

RE: Newly refurbished Dell Precission T5600 (Starts up but POST does not start)

I am having the exact same issue with my T5610 Workstation. Sadly, it seems you did not read his post as there is NO VIDEO OUTPUT at all. If his situation is similar to mine there is no way to get into the BIOS because you cannot see anything on the monitor as the machine is not outputting Video at all.

0 Kudos