Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2016 11:00

No Display on Dell Studio D540 Desktop

I powered on my D540 and no video. I checked the power supply and it has a green light on. The front power button is yellow and not green. The hard drive spins up when power is applied. The USB keyboard and mouse do not seem to get power (no LEDs are lit).

I can't get into the BIOS or Windows boot menu as the screen does not work. I have an add in video card, so I removed it and plugged the monitor into the VGA on the mother board. No joy. The monitor continues to say there is no video signal from the computer in all options. Double checked the monitor and it works on another computer.

Any suggestions? TIA.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 23rd, 2016 16:00

Kurt83

A solid amber power light, with no 'beeps' can indicate either a power supply, or motherboard issue.

Unless you have a warranty Dell unfortunately will not help, you could use Dell's Expired Warranty service, but Dell will charge a fee for this:

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/19/services/out-of-warranty

Try the following, if you are comfortable working around computers:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply and case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out, again disconnect the power cord, hold the power button in again for 15/20 seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all PCI cards from the system, take out the video card [if applicable], disconnect all peripherals, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard and disconnect the power & data cables from all drives. 

Reconnect the power cord and power system on, see if you get a different LED indication on the power button, or 'Beeps'.

No difference, remove the memory from the system and try again.

Still shows no signs of life then you are looking at a motherboard replacement & maybe a processor. 

Note: The good news is, processors rarely fail, as the only method I know of checking a processor, is to install it a compatible working PC, or use a known working processor.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 23rd, 2016 11:00

Kurt83

Is the power button LED, is a Steady Amber, or a Blinking Amber?

Are there any 'Beep's, if there are, please post the exact sequence of them?

The Studio 540 Troubleshooter is Here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_desktop/studio-desktop_Setup%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Bev.

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2016 13:00

Bev,

Thanks for the quick response.

The light is solid amber with no beeps, etc. Since the monitor never comes on there is no POST messages. This computer does not have the "LED numbers" that the business class Dells have where I work could say what light the POST ended on. Essentially, the manual you pointed me to says contact Dell. I was trying to see if these symptoms were common enough I could avoid the lengthy phone call.

TIA

K

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2016 16:00

Bev,

Thanks for the details. Just what I was looking for.

K

No Events found!