Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2012 13:00

No Video output on Dell XPS 720

Hello!

I am trying to run some tests on intel processors. Everything was working untill I pulled out the cpu and replaced it with one that matches the XPS specs. I got through about eight CPUs when the video output stoped. I tryed reseating the RAM and video card. Cleaning the cpu and heatsink, then re-applying the thermal paste, and still no luck. I even doubled checked my motherboard to make sure I didnt bend any prongs on the motherboard where the CPU is inserted. Im at a stand still and I really need help.

Thanks.

14.4K Posts

September 19th, 2012 19:00

What is the color and status of your power light? What if any diagnostic lights are on? Have you gone back to installing an CPU that you know worked before?

September 20th, 2012 05:00

Its a solid amber light. I looked up what the status message was on the lights and it stated that there was a connection problem. and yes I went back and installed a processor that I knew worked and ran the test on. Im about to reset the battery on the motherboard, and hopefully change my bios back to default, but know Im running out of ideas.. Hopefully this works..

Feel free to shoot me any other ideas :) gratefully appreciated.

14.4K Posts

September 20th, 2012 05:00

A solid light usually indicates a component issue. Best recommendation at this point is to remove all the ram sticks, all the plug in cards and disconnect all the power connections going to the drives. This leaves you with a system consisting of only the power supply motherboard and CPU. If your button light changes then start adding in things one at a time. If it  has not changed then listen for any beeps, do the fans spin up. If you do not hear any beeps and the fans spin up then the most likely suspect would be the motherboard.

4.4K Posts

May 29th, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                        

No Events found!