Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2009 13:00

No bios?

I updated the BIOS on my inspiron 546 2 weeks ago from version a02 to a10 I believe.Normaly When i start my pc up I leave the room so I never noticed I was missing the dell splash screen on start up intill now.I was trying to enter my bios to set it to boot from cd-rom  for a software install and I can't.

I have no splash screen and hitting F8,F10,F12 all take me to a page asking to start up in safe mode or last best configuration for windows,etc

I can't do a system restore.but i  do have the ultility cd-rom ..Anyone have a idea how I can get the splash screen/bios to work?

8 Posts

Simple enough =) thanks..Would you happen to know why the splash screen is gone?

2.8K Posts

puffins27,
F2 is the key that accesses the BIOS on an Inspiron 546.

2.8K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 14:00

No problem. The splash screen is probably gone because fast boot is enabled in the BIOS. It can be turned off in there.

8 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 15:00

*edited* Ok i managed to get into bios seems i have to hit f2 many times over.I changed what you mentioned to enabled so I could get the splash screen.But now I'm getting beep codes. one beep as soon as I reboot (which it always did)  and a second beep as soon as the vista icon screen appears..Any thoughts?

2.8K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 15:00

Did you change fast boot to enabled or disabled? Enabled is the default setting. You should set it to disabled in order to get the splash screen to appear.

8 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 16:00

I went back in and it is changed to disabled.I have the splash screen back but like I said before I now after I set it to disabled get a extra beep at the vista start up logo I checked the beep codes and Im not sure what that means.I get the normal "everything is ok" beep when I turn the pc on but this beep is after everything loads and just before the welcome screen for vista appears.Everything in the bios is default other than the fast setting I ran a memory check and nothing was wrong.Is this some kind of post boot check beep/error?.

8 Posts

For the heck of it i went and turned the splash screen back off and the second beep code stopped so i guess it's no big deal.It never happened when i had the splash screen before the bios update so i'll assume it has something to do with that.I'll learn to live with the extra beep .

Sorry for the many posts :emotion-1: and thanks for your help.

2.8K Posts

I don't think I could tell you what the second beep is about without actually playing around with an Inspiron 546 for a little while. There's nothing about beep codes or diagnostic LEDs in the online documentation for this model.

No Events found!