Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2016 13:00

No boot device Available

Good afternoon

I came home from being away or 3 days and turned  on my xps computer.

It seemed to start fine then I noticed a windows 10 update (had windows 8 when I first got it but took advantage of free upgrade as 10 much better)

I did the update but as soon as it tried to restart I have been getting this error

No boot device available

Strike the F1 key to retry boot, F2 to run the setup utility

Sata0 installed

Sata1 installed

Sata2 none

Sata3 none

Msata none

Have tried reboot several times and reset bios to default already once not sure what else to do.

I run malewarebytes and avast daily so don't think it's software related

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 31st, 2016 13:00

Exactly which XPS?

October 31st, 2016 17:00

Xps 8500

I7-3770@3.4

16gb ddr3 ram

Originally had sweet 2gb video card but had that replaced last year as I ran it out

Bios is telling me

Sata0/port0  st20ppdm001-1ch164   (2000.3gb)

So it's seeing the hard drive, just won't boot

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 1st, 2016 13:00

Open BIOS setup and check to see what's in the boot sequence. Make sure that HDD on SATA0 is first on the list.

Try turning Secure Boot off, if it's currently enabled.

Be sure to save any changes before exiting setup.

See if it boots now...

3 Posts

November 1st, 2016 15:00

Secure boot is disabled

Load legacy oprom enabled

Boot mode uefi

1st boot device internal had

2nd boot device uefi Sony storage media (have windows 10 iso on USB stick to try and repair boot but  no luck)

3rd boot device internal odd device

4th boot device USB floppy device

5th boot device on board NIC device

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 1st, 2016 15:00

You cant just copy an ISO to a USB stick and it boots.  You have to use a USB DVDROM or a media creation tool from microsoft OR the EASY as 123 usb installer.   All of the Bootable USB Creation Tools Require working windows to install from Locally stored ISO file to USB.   The media creation tool is different for Windows 7  vs Windows 8 vs windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (click to show more or less information)

Follow these steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10.

Before you download the tool make sure you have:

• An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).

• Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.

• A blank USB flash drive or DVD (and DVD burner) with at least 4 GB of space if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.

• A Windows 10 product key if you are installing it for the first time or if your PC did not have Windows 10 pre-installed by the PC manufacturer.

Check a few things on the PC where you want to install Windows 10:

• 64-bit or 32-bit processor (CPU). You’ll create either a 64-bit or 32-bit version of Windows 10. To check this on your PC, go to PC info in PC settings or System in Control Panel, and look for System type.

• System requirements. Make sure the PC meets the system requirements for Windows 10. We also recommend going to the PC manufacturer's website for additional info about updated drivers and hardware compatibility.

• Language in Windows. You'll need to choose the same language when you install Windows 10. To see what language you're currently using, go to Time and language in PC settings or Region in Control Panel.

• Edition of Windows. You should also choose the same edition of Windows. To check what edition you're currently running, go to PC info in PC settings or System in Control Panel, and look for Windows edition. Windows 10 Enterprise isn’t available in the media creation tool. For more info, go to the Volume Licensing Service Center.

• Microsoft Office products. If you just purchased a new device that includes Office 365, we recommend redeeming (installing) Office before upgrading to Windows 10. To redeem your copy of Office, please see Download and install Office 365 Home, Personal, or University on your PC. For more information, check How to upgrade to Windows 10 on new devices that include Office 365.

If you have Office 2010 or earlier and choose to perform a clean install of Windows 10, you will need to locate your Office product key. For tips on locating your product key, check Find your Office 2010 product key or Enter the product key for your Office 2007 program.

Using the tool to create installation media:

1. Select Download tool now, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.

2. If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.

3. On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.

Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10. This table will help you decide which edition of Windows 10 you’ll choose:

Your current edition of Windows

Windows 10 edition

Note: If you have an N edition of Windows on your PC, choose the N equivalent of Windows 10 for creating installation media.

Windows 7 Starter

Windows 7 Home Basic

Windows 7 Home Premium

Windows 8/8.1

Windows 8.1 with Bing

Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Professional

Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows 8 Pro

Windows 8.1 Pro

Windows 8/8.1 Professional with Media Center

Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8/8.1 Single Language

Windows 8 Single Language with Bing

Windows 10 Home Single Language

Windows 8/8.1 Chinese Language Edition

Windows 8 Chinese Language Edition with Bing

Windows 10 Home China

Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 Pro

1. Select which media you want to use:

• USB flash drive. Attach a blank USB flash drive with at least 4GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.

• ISO file. Save an ISO file to your PC, which you can use to create a DVD. After the file is downloaded, you can go to location where the file is saved, or select Open DVD burner, and follow the instructions to burn the file to a DVD. For more info about using an ISO file, see Additional methods for using the ISO file to install Windows 10 section below.

3 Posts

November 1st, 2016 16:00

Did that with the windows 10 I did the same upgrade from  8.1 to at my work using the Microsoft tool.  When I said no luck, I meant the the automatic boot fixer option when I boot to the USB didn't fix whatever is causing my issue.  Thanks tho

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 1st, 2016 17:00

Autorepair never works.  You must scorched earth reinstall to recover from the black screen of death in windows 10.  If you have data on that drive take it out and buy a new drive and reinstall from scratch then use a USB to Sata wire to recover data from the other drive as though its a giant usb flash drive.

3 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 03:00

So the data is still Recoverable?   If I do have to do a reinstall my biggest concern was that I'd lose a lot of pictures of my kids from when they were tiny.  Thanks for letting me know there would still be hope of retrieving them.  I take it somewhere like the Source would have these Cables?

No Events found!