Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2017 19:00

No disk found when loading WIN7 on a new hard drive

I have a Dell Optiplex 755. It came with an 80Gb hard drive. It has filled up so I bought a Seagate 500Gb hard drive. When I start the install of WIN7, it won't recognize the new hard drive. All I have is the WIN7 install disk, where do I go from here? It asks for me to load drivers, but I don't have anything.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 21st, 2017 08:00

Make sure the SATA mode is set to AHCI (not RAID).  Put the driver below on a flash drive, attach and press F6 during the install and point to the flash drive to load the driver.

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../AHCI-F6-Floppy-Disk-Utility-for-AHCI

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 20th, 2017 23:00

It may be asking for 'F6' drivers, which can be downloaded from Intel's site (and perhaps Dell's?)

An alternative is to 'clone' the 80gb to the new 500gb. Pen Drive Linux can be used for this purpose and it is free, or you can use commercial disk cloning software like Acronis True Image.

2 Posts

May 21st, 2017 08:00

I went to both the Intel and Dell sites. Could not find "F6" drivers anywhere. I know nothing about Linux.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 21st, 2017 10:00

Make sure to select Custom Install when you boot to win 7 disk so you can choose the unallocated partition to format and install. The new hard drive is not partitioned and formatted so windows cannot recognize the disk. The installer will format when you select Custom Install, Drive Options.

33 Posts

May 26th, 2017 03:00

If you are still worry about quick speed clone, you can try to create a volume image to keep the safety of your volume. This kind of backup won't be changed and you can restore it quickly if your original data is lost.

No Events found!