Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 26th, 2016 23:00

No keyboard working on xps 410

Well, I have both a wired USB, and wireless Logitech keyboard that worked fine a short time ago, and now neither work.  I was using a Logitech wireless k520 in combo with an m310 mouse no issues.  Now the mouse works fine, but keyboard is not. Tried fresh batteries, restating comp, etc. I removed the wireless USB transmitter and got out my trusty dell USB keyboard, and wired mouse.  Mouse works fine, again no go on keyboard.   Nothing is working, and not sure what is going on.   I cannot get into set up or safe mode without some kind of keyboard so I am at a loss.  Thanks in advice you can give.

October 27th, 2016 08:00

Hi AGP123,

Thank you for reaching out to Dell Community Forum.

Please try these keyboard and mouse on another system and check if it works.

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

October 27th, 2016 08:00

Suspect a motherboard failure. Considering the age of the computer, it might be time to replace it.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 27th, 2016 11:00

Have you tried a different rear USB port for the keyboard?

Try clearing BIOS:

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery (see manual for instructions)
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall battery (use fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery, if this one is old)
  6. Close up and boot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 27th, 2016 17:00

What version of Windows?

If keyboard works to get into BIOS setup, then this is more likely a Windows problem, not hardware.

Depending on which version of Windows, you may need to reboot and press F8 to do an OS repair (eg, Win 7) or boot from USB Windows media and repair (Win 8.1, Win 10).

166 Posts

October 27th, 2016 17:00

Thank you for the advice.  I tried clearing the Bios.  However still only the mice work, both wired and wireless, but wired and wireless keyboards ONLY work in Bios/settings.  Tried getting started in safe mode, but to no avail as I still need to enter my password, and of course need a keyboard for that.  The wireless keyboard was working fine prior to restoring to previous point due to issues with a newer video card/drivers.  That card has been removed.  Not sure why this would be an issue that effects just the keyboard though.  I tried the wired keyboard in all of the rear usb ports, and the front as well, no go.  Wired mouse works in them though so I know it is not a usb port issue.  This is very frustrating.

No Events found!