Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2016 15:00

No power, burning smell

Hi, this morning my pc was fine and when I got back from town the pc would not power no and it had a burning smell in one area. Could anyone help me with this

February 19th, 2016 19:00

I have an inspiron 3847. The burning smell was coming from around where the processer is located and everywhere was fine.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 19th, 2016 19:00

Hi, this morning my pc was fine and when I got back from town the pc would not power no and it had a burning smell in one area. Could anyone help me with this

problems allday

Please post the computer model.

What was the one area, you could smell burning?

Bev.

February 20th, 2016 15:00

Now my pc has a button on the power supply and when I press the button it starts up and everything is fine when I release the button it cuts off. Idk what's going on but my last pc had a similar problem, the only difference is that there was no burning smell.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 20th, 2016 15:00

I have an inspiron 3847. The burning smell was coming from around where the processer is located and everywhere was fine.

problems allday

As the power supply is next to processor/fan assembly and that there is no power, it sounds like the power supply has serious issues.

Try replacing the power supply unit to see if this makes a difference.

The Dell Inspiron 3847 Mini Tower can use generic ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

Best to buy a power supply with a depth of around 5.9".

If you have a Dell warranty in effect, contact Dell's Technical support, no warranty, then you will need to buy the replacement.

http://www.amazon.com/949H1-Switching-BesTec-B300NM-01-Inspiron/dp/B00ZSY7F0G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1456009928&sr=8-3&keywords=dell+inspiron+3847+power+supply

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3847-desktop_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 20th, 2016 21:00

Now my pc has a button on the power supply and when I press the button it starts up and everything is fine when I release the button it cuts off. Idk what's going on but my last pc had a similar problem, the only difference is that there was no burning smell.

problems allday

Indicates a power supply issue.

Bev.

February 23rd, 2016 16:00

I got a power supply tester and the power supply is alright. Now when I turn on the pc the light flashes orange and white for a second then turns off. When I press the button on the power supply it stays on like normal but I don't get any activity on the moniter.

11 Posts

March 17th, 2016 15:00

Problems allday, are you still having your issue? I have same model Inspiron 3847 and the same issue occurred last week. Using the computer for most of the day, smelled an electrical smell and computer wouldn't work.

I've had this system for about 18 months, no issues. When I hit the power button, you hear the fans and it sounds like it is powering up for about 10 seconds, then clicks off. A few seconds later it powers up again and continues to run however nothing is visible, the power switch is always a constant amber, that never changes.

I removed the few cards I had installed. Even replaced the power supply, still have the issue. I ordered a new motherboard (refurbished from Dell), replaced it and still the same issue. I've removed memory 1 stick, same issue. Put the other stick in, same issue.

I hesitate to replace the processor, however even after removing literally everything I know that I can, still amber light on power switch and everything is still the same.

I am hoping you have a solution for this. Since the motherboard cost me over $125 and did not resolve my issue, if I need to drop $200 on a processor, I might as well buy a new pc instead.

No Events found!