Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2009 13:00

No sound after re-loading Windows XP Pro

Please excuse my ignorance at this computer stuff, I'm a 51 year old Grandma who's trying to learn this on my own. I recently re-loaded Windows XP Pro on my computer, when I was done I had no sound. I went through all the troubleshooting steps, to no avail. After consulting the Dell website I discovered that I needed to download a whole list of things from the download site and they specifyed a specific order in which to dowmload them in. What they didn't tell me is exactly what downloads they are. I mean they say first to download a Desktop System, what desktop system ? Next they say a Chipset, what chipset ? Can anyone help me out with more specific answers ?? Please Help !!

PS. I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 series, Intel Pentium IV processor, BIOS version A03

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 14:00

I couldn't find any desktop system software for your model, so I guess your model doesn't need it. The chipset is HERE. It is important to INSTALL in order. You can download (copy to your hard drive for later installation) in any order. That instruction page is a generic version for all models and might not apply to specific models. Desktop software is only for  XP computers but not all XP computers. You should download the driver for the Audio that applies to your computer--one is for integrated sound and the other is for the separate harman-kardon sound card. Your Hardware Device Manager will tell you which you have. That might solve your sound problem. Also recheck the sound settings in control panel. Maybe something is muted.

4.6K Posts

November 24th, 2009 12:00

You'll find all the drivers for your system here :emotion-5:

If you're unsure which of those you need - specifically, let us know, and we'll hopefully be able to advise you.

But in order to do so - since there are so many different variations available (Network and Video are usually two of the worst multi-choice culprits)... we'll need to know exactly what hardware is in your particular system.

To find that out, you might be best to download/install a free 'System Information' (SysInfo) program.  They can tell you all you need to know about the hardware in your system.

There are any number of 'em available - most of which you'll find on this Major Geeks page.
I recommend choosing ones with the latest release dates, since those are obviously the ones which are still being developed/updated.
Examples include:  Belarc Advisor, Auslogics System Information, HWiNFO32, SIV, SIW, etc etc.

Some of them don't even need installing!  You just download them, and run them. 
System Spec is one of those.

No Events found!