Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

May 26th, 2009 22:00

No sounds/audio

I finished reinstalling XP on my XPS 400 desktop and reloaded all the drivers in the required order. Everything is working fine except that I can't get any system sounds or audio of any kind; not from the CD drive nor iTunes. I've gone through Device Manager and everything is enabled. The sounds and audio devices are all set to the same Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit. The audio was working fine before the reinstall.

Anyone have a clue where I should look next?

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 27th, 2009 04:00

Did you install the Intel Chipset drivers?  If not, that could be the problem.  The chipset drivers must be installed before installing sound (and some other device drivers).  The install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers including sound, video, etc.

And, with the Optional SoundBlaster sound card, you need the drivers for the Dell version sound card.  The drivers for a Live! 24 bit are not on the XPS400 Dell downloads.  You should have a Dell CD with those drivers.

If you skipped the chipset drivers (which define what is on or attached to the motherboard) you can install them now and then the sound drivers.  In a few cases this doesn't work and a complete, correct install sequence, install is needed.

14 Posts

May 27th, 2009 14:00

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I did install the chipset drivers, as per the Dell driver install order. I only loaded the SoundBlaster drivers after everything else was loaded and there wasn't any sound. It does occur to me that there were three files listed for the Audio Adapter but one of them, R126205, wouldn't install. I forget what that was labeled.

I guess I'll reinstall the chipset drivers, then the two or three Audio drivers and see what happens.

An odd thing though. I have two icons for volume control in the system tray: one says just "volume control," and the other says, "Creative Volume control." If I hit the "Upgrade" option upon right click, it opens a SoundBlaster dialog. The first on right click has all sorts of options, one of which is diagnostic, with says everything is fine, although I can't hear the test.

1.3K Posts

May 27th, 2009 14:00

Click "Volume control" a make sure "Mute" is NOT checked. Also in the Creative Volume Control.

14 Posts

May 27th, 2009 15:00

No mute. And the computer is plugged in, too.  :emotion-5:

No Events found!