Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2009 14:00

No system sound after reloading Windows XP

I have a XPS 400 with a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS audio card.  After reformating the hard drive and reloading Windows XP, divers and all of my data and music, the sytem sound is gone.  Windows media player works fine as does Itunes.  Device manager shows no problems.   I cannot hear sound from videos such as utube nor do I head any Windows system sounds.  Onboard audio is disabled in the BIOS.  I have loaded the lastest Sound Blaster drivers.  No error messages at any time.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 8th, 2009 15:00

Youtube requires (I think) the Shockwave or flash player (both can be downloaded from Adobe). 

Go to the Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices and make sure your SoundBlaster is set as the default device for the various sound functions.  That could be one problem.  

2 Posts

December 8th, 2009 20:00

Thanks for the suggestions.  Control panel/sounds did already have Soundblaster set as the default device.  Also, I downloaded both Shockwave and Flashplayer and still no system sounds and files such as Utube do not include audio.  Also, any videos say from MSNBC will play but without sound.  Still searching for a solution.  Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 9th, 2009 03:00

HERE is the Youtube Help file on audio problems.  Once you get the Youtube working that may fix the other internet audio problems.

With the system sounds missing, it sounds like something was not installed properly.  The correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install chipset drivers (3) install device drivers such as sound, video, ethernet, etc.  In most cases the Chipset Drivers MUST be installed BEFORE installing sound for it to either work or work correctly.  Did you install the chipset drivers? that seems to be the main item that is missed by users on an install and the key to a successful reinstallation.  The chipset drivers define what is on or attached to the motherboard.

If you did install correctly, uninstall the SoundBlaster in the Device Manager then restart Windows and it will be detected and reinstalled.  If some status is corrupted that generally will reset things. 

No Events found!