Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2013 15:00

No volume adjust for headphone

Hello

About: Dell XPS 8700 (with Realtek High Definition Audio and "Dell Audio" Software)

I have the same problem as mentioned in this thread from the Laptop section : http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/p/19497223/20324248.aspx#20324248

When i plug in my headphones, "Dell Audio" detects them correctly but the volume is not adjusted! In the windows volume control panel there is no headphone option listed.

Already re-installed the newest driver with no change...

Regards

6 Posts

Hi Jyotpal F

thanks a lot for your fast response

Unfortunately there is no headphone in the playback devices menu. When i plug in my headphones it still says "speaker".

Hi Photosky,

After going through the above mentioned thread’s link and also after you mentioned that you have reinstalled the drivers, lets perform another step here and I hope this helps.

1. Plug your headphone jack in the audio in port.
  2. Right Click on the volume speaker icon on the bottom right hand side on the desktop..
  3. Select Playback devices
  4. Then right click on your headphone icon
  5. Select properties
  6. Go to the levels tab and set the volume as per your wish.
  7. Click Apply / Ok

Now unplug the headphone and plug it back in and check if this helps. Awaiting for your response.

July 29th, 2013 16:00

Hi Photosky,

You are most welcome!

Right click on the empty white space where it says speakers and click on 'show all devices' or 'show disabled devices' and then check and see do you find the headphone? If you do then continue with the steps above mentioned and lets see if it works.

Awaiting for your reply.

6 Posts

July 29th, 2013 16:00

Sadly, i already did that trick with disabled/show all devices without mentioning it: The Headphones are still not recognized in the volume panel

What makes me curious: When i plug them in, the dedicated "Dell Audio" app (seems to be an adaption of realteks own audio manager) detects the headphones and changes settings (e.g. from 5.1 to stereo) BUT the volume panel/ playback devices menu remains the same ("speaker" and present volume)...

July 29th, 2013 17:00

Hi Photosky,

Since its an XPS 8700, have you plugged the speakers at the ports which are on the back of the tower and the headphones in the front on the green jack at the same time? Ensure both of them are plugged in at the same time. Now check the playback devices and see if you can see two different options. If not then follow the instructions below:

Make sure you have headphones and speakers connected both.

If you are using Windows 8, then open start menu and without clicking anywhere type Realtek and click on Realtek audio driver. Once the application is open then click on Advanced Settings on the right corner and it opens up another small window like below

Now make sure the ones that are circled in the picture above are selected too on your computer and then click on 'Ok". Restart the computer once and see if it helps.

Awaiting for your response.

6 Posts

July 30th, 2013 09:00

Hi

speakers and headphones are both plugged in at the same time. They both work properly.

Instead of the original realtek hd audio manager, "Dell Audio" opens.

Here's a screenshot (in german cause thats my language):

You can see the playback devices section with just the speakers option available. In Dell Audio the headphones are recognized. So i think it might be a software issue with the driver Version 6.0.1.6909, A01). The dell audio software simply forgets to chance the volume when switching.

July 30th, 2013 11:00

Hi Photosky,

Thank you for sharing this information. It was really helpful. Never mind the language though.

I did some research on some computers in the lab that we have. We have systems with both Windows 7 and Windows 8. The difference I found was that if I plug a headphone in the computer running Windows 7, then it shows a separate playback device with the name as either speaker or headphone and I was able to change the volume separately on both of them. Whereas, if I did the same in the computer running with Windows 8 then it showed as just one device in playback devices unlike two as it did on Windows 7. So from here we can make out that Windows 8 does takes multiple devices as one and does not consider them to be separate devices. 

But lets not give up hope, we can still try and do another thing here which might help. First we need to uninstall the Dell Audio from the computer. So please go to control panel and then choose 'Uninstall a Program' or 'Program and Features' and then select Dell Audio application from the list of programs and uninstall it. Restart the computer once.

Now, click on this link http://bit.ly/8B6PmF and it shall open the Realtek's webpage. After the website is open, click on 'HD Audio Codec Driver' under quick links as shown in the image below:

After you click on it, It will take you to the next page where you need to check mark I accept then click next. After that, you will see the webpage like below

Download the file that has been labelled in red above. To download, click on any option like US1, HK1, CN, US2, US3 or UK1.

Once the file is downloaded then run that application and then follow instructions. After installation is complete then restart the computer once and then try to open the Realtek Audio Manager as I had mentioned in my last post and try to change the options there.

Hope this helps and I thank you very much for your co-operation and your patience.

Awaiting for your reply.

6 Posts

July 31st, 2013 05:00

Hi Jyotpal F,

"Dell Audio" was not listed in the program list, but i uninstalled the present audio driver an deleted all files referring to it and then it was gone.

After having a clean system then with no audio driver, i downloaded and installed the original realtek driver as you described. And now it becomes spooky: Again i have the Dell Audio Panel instead of Realtek HD Audio Manager :O

July 31st, 2013 16:00

Hi Photosky,

This seems strange to me as well and Dell Audio should not come up after installing Realtek HD Audio Manager. At this point of time, I would like to take some time more and further research on this feature of setting different audio levels for different devices plugged in. I would get back to you soon on this and keep you posted as well. 

Thank you for your co-operation and I'll be back with an answer soon

August 8th, 2013 16:00

Hi Photosky,

Sorry for the delay in replying. Apologies for the same.

Well I did a lot of research on the above issue on all the Dell computers that are present in our lab. All the computers running Windows 8 do not have the feature for setting up different volume levels for different audio devices. I have tried hands on on XPS desktops and even on Inspiron All in One desktop computers. But to no avail, the results are the same. 

All the systems that I tested on had Realtek Audio as the hardware and on installing its driver for Windows 8, it automatically put up the Dell Audio Application as well. And unfortunately, there is no volume leveling option for different devices at the same time. However, the same systems running Windows 7 have the option to control multiple audio devices at the same time. This strengthens the point that the feature that we were looking for is not supported by Windows 8. I have also tried researching over the web and could not find anything except for other customers reaching out to their computer's manufacturer about the same issue.

At this point of time, I can only say that you would have to use the computer as it is, because this is how the machine has been setup from the factory. I hope this issue gets addressed in the new update that is being pushed to all Windows 8 customers, called Windows 8.1 later this year during Christmas.

Hope this helps.

6 Posts

August 14th, 2013 09:00

Hello Jyotpal F,

many thanks for your dedicated investigations, even if its not that satisfactory in the end.

Regards Photosky

February 14th, 2015 17:00

DId anything every come of this? I have the same exact question, and am running windows 8.1 now, seems like this was never fixed....

I have a Dell XPS 12 laptop, model 9q33

217 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 07:00

ME too.  I miss that Realtek Audio Manager app.  Only way to get audio out of speakers and headphones simultaneously.

1 Message

January 31st, 2017 04:00

Ok that's a very good answer

My question is how to control the volume through headphones where it has three buttons 2buttons are  to control volume(up and down) and the other one is for pause/play.

I have installed the latest audio drivers my keyboard have those buttons but i need them to work in headphones

(I am using apple earpods) I need the buttons to work with my dell pc.

1 Message

October 14th, 2017 11:00

Viiay4232,

The answer to your question is not fixable for you to do this would be a hardware task not software therefore the device that you are using does not work for that part of the headphones however since you have apple ear pods that feature would work with an apple phone for the pause/play button and volume. Although with android only the pause/play button will work but no features will work on windows chrome and i am not sure about Linux.

No Events found!