Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2014 12:00

Noisy Fan Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop . When I power on my Dell Inspiron 531 it is initially pretty quiet,  Then intermittently the fan kicks on loudly like a planes taking off . The fan will increase in volume for about 15 - 30 seconds and then return to the original level. It usually happens when the computer is under a heavy load .

I'm assuming its getting hot and kicking on and off or is there a problem ?also is there anything i can do to keep the computer cool but also quiet the fan ?

I noticed the fan on the inside back is blowing air into the case instead of out . Would it help if I switched it?

Thank You in Advance .

Here's the stats from Speed Fan :

Fan 1 1455 Rpm  Min. 1390  Max 4559

Fan 2 1222 Rpm   Min. 851   Max 2471

Fan 3 0 Rpm

Temperatures:

GPU 32F

Temp1 111F

Temp2 93F

Temp3 124F

HD1 113F

HD0 102F

Temp1 124F

Core 124F

Computer Specs:

Dell Inspiron 531 
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit 
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.31 ghz
2.00 gb Ram
NVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce n30

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 29th, 2014 13:00

imakemagic

Have you cleaned the dust build up from inside of the case recently?

Canned compressed air can be used to clean the inside the case, heatsink's cooling fins, fans and the air intakes located in the front panel.

Before using the compressed air, read the instructions for it's use first.

Canned compressed air can be purchased from any computer store or Walmart.

This article www.ehow.com/how_3664_clean-computers-insides.html may also help.

The fan located on the back panel should be blowing air out the case instead of in.

Bev.

26 Posts

September 29th, 2014 17:00

According to speed fan it is LOL

26 Posts

How can your GPU possibly be at 32ºF? That's the temperature at which water freezes...  :emotion-3:

I just checked and its still reading 32ºF so The temperature must be off or the computer is 

26 Posts

imakemagic

Have you cleaned the dust build up from inside of the case recently?

Canned compressed air can be used to clean the inside the case, heatsink's cooling fins, fans and the air intakes located in the front panel.

Before using the compressed air, read the instructions for it's use first.

Canned compressed air can be purchased from any computer store or Walmart.

This article www.ehow.com/how_3664_clean-computers-insides.html may also help.

The fan located on the back panel should be blowing air out the case instead of in.

Bev.

I took the whole computer apart and removed the fans to clean them real good then used my shop vac as a blower to blow out any dust that was still inside . I also switched the fan around its not as bad but still gets pretty loud at times . 

Is there an after market cooler i could buy for it and also for the south bridge ?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

How can your GPU possibly be at 32ºF? That's the temperature at which water freezes...  :emotion-3:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 29th, 2014 21:00

imakemagic

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cooling-Inspiron-Mini-Tower-Systems/dp/B004578QOG

There are only two fans available for the 530MT (1) Back panel case fan (2) Processor heatsink fan

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 30th, 2014 12:00

So you can't believe anything SpeedFan tells you...

Dried out thermal paste? You'd have to remove the heat sink, clean both surfaces and apply a thin coat of fresh thermal paste, eg Arctic Silver before reinstalling the heat sink.

26 Posts

October 2nd, 2014 11:00

So you can't believe anything SpeedFan tells you...

Dried out thermal paste? You'd have to remove the heat sink, clean both surfaces and apply a thin coat of fresh thermal paste, eg Arctic Silver before reinstalling the heat sink.

I bought Artic Silver and i'm going to try that Thank You 

26 Posts

October 2nd, 2014 11:00

imakemagic

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cooling-Inspiron-Mini-Tower-Systems/dp/B004578QOG

There are only two fans available for the 530MT (1) Back panel case fan (2) Processor heatsink fan

Bev.

I was looking more at upgrading the Cooler and replacing the whole thing with an after market cooler . Any recommendations ?

I noticed the south bridge gets Really hot so i was wondering if there's a fan or any type of cooler i could put on it ?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 2nd, 2014 13:00

imakemagic

Quote:

"I have a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop . When I power on my Dell Inspiron 531"

Do you have a 530, or a 531?

Is the 530/531 located in any type of enclosure?

There was a BIOS update, issued for fan control enhancement, you could check this out

I have had an Inspiron 530 MT since July 2007, that has the same chassis as the 531, that has been upgraded to a e8400, 2 x SATA HD's, plus an SSD and a ATI HD 7750 graphics card, without any heat issues, using the default heat sinks for the processor and Southbridge chipset. 

To help improve the cooling inside my 530 MT, due to the constraints of the case, I added a 80mm case fan to the inside of the front panel air intake, located under the hard drives, to pull more air into the case, primarily for the hard drives and graphics card upgrade.

To connect the fan to the default Dell 300w PSU, you will need to buy adaptors and a SATA power Y splitter.

The Zalman 9500A heat sink will fit the 530/531 Mini Tower.

Heat sinks that use the push pin style mounting will NOT work because the Dell motherboard uses threaded inserts bonded on top of the mounting holes.

Sorry, cannot help with a South Bridge 'Cooler', as I never have found the need to install one.

Bev.

No Events found!