Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 27th, 2011 20:00

Number of disks on a Precision T7500

I will receive my new T7500 in a few days from now. It will arrive with a single 500GB HDD. I saw discrepancies on the web (in Dell's own documentation) on the maximum number of disks that can be installed in this machine. My machine will arrive with the integrated LSI 1068e controller. How many HDD can be installed in my new toy? There is one document that says 4 and the other one says 5.

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 29th, 2011 10:00

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/wsT7500/

Hard-drive Cage

Dell Precision™ T7500 Service Manual

WARNING: Before working inside your computer, read the safety information that shipped with your computer. For additional safety best practices information, see the Regulatory Compliance Homepage at www.dell.com/regulatory_compliance.

Removing the Hard-drive Cage

1. Follow the procedures in Before Working Inside Your Computer. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
  2. Remove the computer cover. 

1. Remove any installed hard drives and the hard-drive guides.

1. Remove the screws securing the first hard-drive cage to the chassis.

1. Remove the first hard-drive cage.
  1. Repeat the process for the second hard-drive cage.

7 Posts

November 30th, 2011 05:00

Thanks XGempler,

With 5 drives installed, do I understand correctly that I could put 4 in the array and use the 5th one as a standalone? My plan was to use an SSD as my boot drive and then use the 4 others in RAID. Does the controller with optical drive support provide the same performance as the LSI? Unless you have other suggestions, that is where I would hook up the SSD.

17 Posts

November 30th, 2011 10:00

MrBricole, I don't have a recommendation for the best configuration with the use of an SSD becuase I haven't done it.  But in the absence of a PERC6/i, the LSI controller is the only one that provides RAID configuration and since you want four SATA drives in a RAID configuration then that is where they will have to go... That would leave the SSD to be connected to the SATA "Optical" controller which may be slightly slower than the LSI controller, but I don't see another choice..  

No Events found!