Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2011 03:00

Odd audio problem, can't find a fix anywhere.

Hi,

I'm running a Inspiron 518 with vista, and I keep getting an annoying reverbish problem with my desktop audio.  Whenever my computer plays a short sound, like a click or something like that, it will repeat rapidly for a few seconds and then stop.  The problem is that it will happen constantly, when i'm going through files it'll happen every time i open a new one.  Or when I use Ventrillo, it will happen every time i hit the "Push to talk" button.  It's driving me crazy and I don't know what to do.  Please help.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 4th, 2011 04:00

This sounds like the "audio enhancements" reverb or echo function is enabled. 

To disable speaker audio enhancements

1. Open Audio Devices and Sound Themes by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Sound.

2. On the Playback tab, click Speakers, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Enhancements tab, and then select the Disable all enhancements check box.

If you don't see an Enhancements tab in the Speakers Properties dialog box, those features are not available for your speakers and this procedure is not applicable to your computer.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Reinstall the Dell sound drivers and see if that helps.  You need the Dell sound driver as non-Dell drivers (e.g. ones that Windows may install) either do not work or do not work correctly.  If you have the Dell sound driver, reinstalling is another suggested fix from Microsoft for the problem.

HERE is the Dell Vista Realtek sound driver

If reinstalling the drivers does not help, go to the Device Manager, RIGHT click on the entry for the RealTek sound and then LEFT click "Uninstall".  DO NOT check the box to also uninstall the drivers.  Then restart the PC and when Windows starts it will detect and reinstall the sound.  This also fixes a lot of flakey problems.

Thanks for the suggestion, i tried it but it didn't work.  Which worries me because it may be a hard ware issue; and since I'm not using a sound card that's not a very good prospect.

No Events found!