TiffanydOKC
1 Copper

RE: Opti 9020s with Intel I217-LM nics causing network issues

They've escalated my ticket. So, maybe we'll hear something. I've sent in the wireshark captures.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
gyang4
1 Copper

We've been experiencing this issue also, starting in August when we first got the new 9020s. It's been intermittent on our network and I've tried re-imaging, updating the BIOS, and updating drivers to no avail.

I'm glad to have found this forum post since it gives me something new to try. What's weird is I'm in a dept that is part of a much larger university campus, and I haven't heard anything from our local community about the problem. Glad to know I'm not alone in this.

Did you just call standard support?

0 Kudos
TiffanydOKC
1 Copper

I called our standard support line to open the ticket. But, they ended up escalating it. The work around was installing the intel drivers and turning off all the "power save" options. Although, I suspect it's the "Respond to NS requests" setting.

0 Kudos
jn-luc
1 Copper

Hello all,

Do not upgrade your BIOS with A03, it is not stable. If you hit F2 too many times on start up, it will "brick" your 9020.

jn-luc

0 Kudos
Mathetos
1 Copper

Thanks jn-luc.  I dutifully upgraded when trying to resolve the network issues (to no avail, don't bother), and am a chronic f2 abuser.

0 Kudos
gyang4
1 Copper

Glad to know I'm not crazy!  

I did resolve the issue by going to Adapter Properties, clicking Configure, and deselecting everything on the Power Management tab.  The nic no longer does anything when the system sleeps, and my network issues disappeared completely.  (Settings like the above mentioned "respond to ARP when asleep" etc.)  

That resolved my issues completely.  Hope that helps.  

It's a weird problem given that Intel nics are so common.  I wonder if we got a weird hardware issue.  

I have started applying the power management settings fix to my computers to see if it solves the issue. One other thing to note is that someone on our team disabled IPv6 as another troubleshooting step when we first started encountering the problems, and that seemed to work also.

Those computers still had the power management settings set at the default. So at this point, I have some computers that have IPv6 disabled but power management settings enabled, and other computers that have IPv6 enabled but power management settings disabled.

I will see if the problems come back on either groups of machines. I don't think either of these work-arounds are true solutions, since what if someone actually wants to use IPv6 or the power management features on these computers? In our environment its not a big deal yet, but it would be nice to narrow things down to the actual root cause.

Based on the notes from Dell about the BIOS A03 fixes, they seem to be actively working on the issue, so I hope there is some kind of answer soon (that won't also carry the risk of bricking the machine)

-Gordon

Subscribing to this thread.  I don't have the 9020 but I have brand new E6440 (Haswell with I217 nic) that are giving me fits with OS deployment.  Hanging on "Setup is installing devices"....strange SCCM client behavior.  Going to check NIC settings as well.  Maybe this is the price of being on the bleeding edge of models?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
brownrobertla
1 Copper

There's an new updated BIOS, A05, for the 9020 AIO, so there may be an update for the 9020 soon.  If it fixes the problem please let us know.

0 Kudos
mcdonamwION
1 Copper

My company has just experienced this very issue.  Has there been any official fix for this yet from either Intel or Dell?

0 Kudos

I don't know about "official" but for me I had to strip out and go down to barebones drivers.  Started adding them in one at a time.  In the end, the driver that worked for me was Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM.  Version 12.6.47.0.

I also changed my task sequence to apply drivers prior to the Network Settings step.

Finally, for newer drivers you need to inject KB2685811 - Update for Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 for Windows 7 x64.  This probably was not related to the NIC issues but it did hang us up on the E6440.  At least one driver used this new framework and the task sequence would not work until this was injected.  Fortunately SCCM 2012 makes it easy to apply updates to your OS images.  

0 Kudos