Bryan Brown
1 Copper

RE: Opti 9020s with Intel I217-LM nics causing network issues

Couple notes:  Many customers that I work with are experiencing this issue.  Based on the Intel Support Community post associated with this issue https://communities.intel.com/message/220048#220048 , Intel posted this message 

"Yes Intel is aware of this issue. Please retest using our latest LAN driver version 19.0 release, available from our Download Center, and let us know if this driver helps resolve your issue. Thanks!"

We have had customers test this version and it does appear to eliminate the problem without the need to turn off power saving and IPv6.  Please try this out and post your results..  

If your network teams are interested (and they should be), here is the actual packet debug of the IPv6 multicast .. 

------- dump of incoming inband packet -------
interface NULL, routine mistral_process_rx_packet_inlin, timestamp 10:29:55.297
dbus info: src_vlan 0x373(883), src_indx 0x1070(4208), len 0x5A(90)
  bpdu 0, index_dir 0, flood 0, dont_lrn 0, dest_indx 0x5802(22530)
  4E820400 03730000 10700000 5A080000 0C000030 07000004 00000000 5802C7C6 
mistral hdr: req_token 0x0(0), src_index 0x1070(4208), rx_offset 0x76(118)
  requeue 0, obl_pkt 0, vlan 0x373(883)
destmac 33.33.00.00.00.01, srcmac C8.1F.66.A8.72.7A, protocol 86DD
protocol ipv6: version 6, flow 1610612736, payload 32, nexthdr 0, hoplt 1
class 0, src FE80::CA1F:66FF:FEA8:727A, dst FF02::1

0 Kudos
ns-hstd
1 Copper

I've been having the exact same problem for a couple of months now and haven't found a resolution. After about 24 hours one of my cores will have 100% load, "system interrupts" are consuming a full core. Using device manager to disable devices I tracked the problem to my NIC. Using a program called latencytimer I verified this further, it shows the high cpu usage is related to the NIC. If I quickly disable/enable the NIC it will be good for approx another 24 hours, but then I loose all my active Connections (like ssh prompts). If I disable every option on the power mgmt tab the NIC will be good for up to a couple of days sometimes, but the problem WILL return. When the problem has returned it can be fixed by re-enabling(!) any of the power options. Each time I fiddle with the power options I will loose all my active connections. If i run diagnostics for the card (tab link speed -> diagnostics -> hardware ) CPU usage will come down to normal levels and I will NOT lose active connections. However, I'm not interested in doing this each and every day. Have tried drivers from Dell as first option. Have tried drivers from Intel (2 or 3 updates), have flashed BIOS every time a new version has been released. This problem is driving me mad!
0 Kudos
BrowneAction
1 Copper

Hi. Dell have alerted me to this issue after supplying a few thousand of them to my organisation. Dell are unable to tell me whether we need to be using IPv6 addresses to experience the issues. Since it will be a hassle updating all machines; I'd be interested to know if anyone experienced the problem whilst using IPv4 addresses and simply had IPv6 protocol bound to the adapter which is how our machines are all configured (ie just ticked but really being unused). It sounds as though the answer to this is yes otherwise surely someone would have piped up about switching back from IPV6 to IPV4 would mean changes to DHCP servers and be a bit of a hassle. thanks GB
0 Kudos
chiners_68
1 Copper

BROWNEACTION, I've got this issue on an IPV4 network so don't go to the effort of swapping back. try the latest driver or use the windows update drive as that sorts the issue.
0 Kudos
mcdonamwION
1 Copper

@BROWNEACTION, We experienced this with IPv4 addresses and simply having IPv6 protocol also enabled on the clients. Hope that helps.
0 Kudos

Hey, just wanted to chime in here that I was having the same issue on my network with HP Elitedesk PCs with this same onboard NIC, and this was the first link Google suggested.  Sure enough, disabling AMT fixed it, and other strange issues I've been having on older machines were also resolved.

AMT sounds not ready for actual deployment in any sized business other than a lab.  Which is surprising, since it's had time to mature a bit.  It'ss interesting that this is ON by default, and that Intel doesn't advertise this ability to cripple the network and machines its used on in the product literature.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
AnguelS
2 Bronze

Hi!

I'm not really sure if my problem is related to the issues described so far in this thread but I have a very annoying problem with our Dell 9020 towers with I217-LM NICs running Windows 8.1. When the computers wake up from sleep (standby) all connections to open network shares and open Office 2010 documents are lost. All shares are on a Windows 2012 R2 ESSENTIALS server + domain controller which runs as a VM. So after waking up a Dell 9020 from standby I get my Win 8.1 login prompt, log in, but for any open shares that were open when the PC went to sleep in explorer, now I randomly get either a domain authentication error message or a new authentication prompt that asks me for domain username and password. The connection to open Word 2010 docs is always lost and Word tells me that the computer came back from standby but a connection problem occured and the document is now read-only, i.e. it must be saved as a new document. Very annoying!

I found out that similar problems date back to Windows 7 or even XP and people suggested to disable "computer can turn off this device to save power" on the network adapter in device manager. I tried this with the latest Dell NIC drivers but this did not help at all. I also tried installing the latest Intel NIC drivers but this did not help either. I also don't see the "computer can turn off this device to save power" in Intel's latest drivers. Maybe those NICs just don't support the option to stay on during standby? BTW I have not enabled AMT so it should not interfere.

Any help or hints are welcome. Thanks in advance

Anguel

0 Kudos
1Grimknight1
1 Copper

Hi Guys

Basically I was having the same issues on my network that they were flooding it with broadcasts/multicast.

I had to enable storm control just to get by so it wouldn't crash my network or would take much longer.

I just want to confirm 3 things.

1.The IPV6 fix has that fixed the issue for you guys it seems too from what I read.

2.Disable Power saving features on adapter from what I can tell fixes the issue.

3.Update driver from Intel -- This is the one I would like to use as it's more permanent solution, Can anyone vouch for this solution in terms of it solved there problem without doing the above two steps.

0 Kudos
gyang4
1 Copper

Apologies, I meant to update this post earlier. When this was happening for me, Dell worked with me over four months or so before we got a more permanent fix.

The latest drivers provided from Dell should fix the issue. I was receiving 9020s with older drivers from the factory, but I implemented the latest drivers from Dell into our SCCM task sequence. Since then, the new machines have not repeated the behavior.

I'm surprised that Dell still ships their factory image with the defective drivers. I suppose they expect that most enterprises will re-image with their own. But still....

Anyway, I'm thankful that Dell assigned someone to work with us directly. It took some time, but they did release a fix and I appreciated their attention to the matter.

-Gordon

0 Kudos
gyang4
1 Copper

Hi Anguel,

The problem you are describing does not appear to be the same problem we were having with the multicast storms occurring. At first glance, it appears that it might be a software/windows issue and not specific to the NIC itself.

Do you see this behavior on other machines on your network that do not have this NIC?

-Gordon

0 Kudos