Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2013 20:00

OptiPlex 3010 PC with Add-on Serial Card Stops Working After a Period of Inactivity

We have purchased three Dell 3010 PCs in the past 45 days. All three Dell 3010 PCs exhibit the following problem: a period of inactivity of at least 45 minutes or even shorter causes the serial port to go dormant and stop communicating with a keyreader device attached to it. All three PCs are Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. The serial card is an add-on card -- a Startech 2 Port Native PCI Express RS232 Serial Adapter Card with 16550 UART (part no. PEX2S553). The PCs have been updated to the newest BIOS A11 and chipset drivers and Intel Management Engine and have the newest serial card drivers (V 2.0.3.0) too. The power options in Control Panel have been changed to performance setting -- the PCs do not sleep or hibernate. The keyreader device uses serial comm port 2 since the Dell PC reserves comm port 1 although there is no serial comm port connector for it. We can tell the serial comm port goes dormant because when we perform a keyreader test, the RS232 interface fails. Immediately after a restart, the serial comm port starts working again (confirmed by the test) until there is inactivity of at least 45 minutes. Is there a setting either in the operating system or the device manager that may help the add-on serial card stay online and interfacing with the keyreader device?

4 Posts

January 18th, 2014 13:00

Hi we noe have the same problem with the same card. 12 dell optiplex 3010 here. did you solved the problem? And how did you solved it?

thanks!

1 Message

March 12th, 2014 07:00

I had the same issue but updating the BIOS to A11 seems to have fixed the problem although I am still testing. I have the startech PCI Express RS232 Serial Card with Breakout Cable. I have been tinkering with the advanced power saving settings. I don't want anything to sleep or hibernate so I turned all that stuff off. If your card is PCI Express there is an advanced power option for PCI Express>Link State Power Management. Turning that off might help.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 12th, 2014 10:00

Disable Hibernation and Turn off all power savings in NIC, USB Hubs, Ports etc.

In Device Manager>USB root hub (ALL of them) properties>Power management> untick the box that "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

1. Open the Control Panel in the Start menu.
  2. Open Power Optionsin the Control Panel.
  3. Select Change plan settings next to the power plan you want to set.
  4. Select Change advanced power settings.
  5. Select Change settings that are currently unavailable.
  6. Set the Link State Power Management to OFF under PCI Express and then click OK to save the changes.

Change profile to ALWAYS ON.

1) Going into your power plan.

2) Click on "change plan settings", then click on "change advanced power settings"

3) Open up "USB settings", and open "USB selective suspend setting", and disable.

No Events found!