Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2017 06:00

OptiPlex 3020 w/ Windows 10 - network card locks up

We recently upgraded our OptiPlex 3020 machines to Windows 10. We have run into an issue where our users will report no network connection. The network jack has a solid orange link light with no activity. When we get into the machine, the network card is missing. BIOS does not list the network card. PXE boot won't work. The only solution is to pull the power cable for 30 seconds, then the network starts working properly again.

We have the latest BIOS version (A15), and we have tried both the latest network drivers from Dell and Realtek's website.

We have had this occur on at least 20 machines randomly so far.

4 Posts

September 25th, 2017 05:00

Anyone else seeing this issue?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 25th, 2017 18:00

Optiplex 3020 or 3020M?

Did you update the chipset and Intel Management Engine drivers for Win 10? Without the right chipset and ME installed, other drivers may not install or may not work.  

Did you install the Win 10 driver for the NIC?  The 3020 has either a Broadcom 57XX/BACS NIC or a Realtek PCIe GBE NIC. The 3020M has the Realtek PCIe GBE NIC.

So you need to know what hardware you have. Your can use the Configuration link on Dell's Support page after you enter the Service Tag to see which NIC you have, if you're not sure...

4 Posts

September 26th, 2017 05:00

Optiplex 3020 or 3020M?

They are Optiplex 3020 machines.

Did you update the chipset and Intel Management Engine drivers for Win 10? Without the right chipset and ME installed, other drivers may not install or may not work.

Did you install the Win 10 driver for the NIC?  The 3020 has either a Broadcom 57XX/BACS NIC or a Realtek PCIe GBE NIC. The 3020M has the Realtek PCIe GBE NIC.

So you need to know what hardware you have. Your can use the Configuration link on Dell's Support page after you enter the Service Tag to see which NIC you have, if you're not sure...

The drivers were obtained from Dell's Enterprise site, where I downloaded the latest CAB file for the 3020 machines. The machines have the Realtek PCIe GBE NIC.

The issue at hand seems to be that the driver configuration is correct, but that there must be a hardware issue or bug. Most computers work as expected. It is just that randomly, the NICs will lock up in such a way that they do not appear to the system. When looking at device manager, they will not appear unless the nonpresent switch is used, then the card is shown as being disconnected from the system. The BIOS will not report a MAC address, and PXE boot is not selectable. The only way to get the NIC working again is to remove the power cord for 30 seconds. Then the machine will work fine again.

I have found that occasionally the machines will lock up during the boot sequence. The users then push the power button until it shuts off, then power it back up. It appears that this is when the card disappears, however most users are unable to tell me the events leading up to not having a network connection. I have been unable to verify if the card disappears after Windows has started.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 26th, 2017 11:00

How up-to-date is that CAB file?  And could one of the drivers in the CAB file be causing the problem??

What happens if you install all the drivers one at a time, starting with the 2 chipsets? It's a pain, but you can download them from Dell's site here: www.dell.com/.../advanced

Be sure to select the version of Windows first, and don't use a download list. Download each driver individually onto a USB so you can transfer them onto the 3020...

4 Posts

September 27th, 2017 06:00

The CAB file is actually older than I thought - 07/27/2016 - however the network driver that is available from the regular Dell download site is the same version as the one in the CAB file.

I have not tried installing drivers individually.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 27th, 2017 13:00

What about chipset drivers etc in the CAB. Are they outdated?

Might be worth installing them individually, at least on one test system...

No Events found!