Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2016 09:00

OptiPlex 3040 micro, dual monitors using HDMI and DP ports, DP connection unreliable

Hi there,

I've got an OptiPlex 3040 micro running Windows 10 64bit (came installed on the machine) and two monitors (Dell U2415, came as a pair) using extended display. One monitor has an HDMI-HDMI cable going into the computer's HDMI port, the other has a DisplayPort-DisplayPort cable going into the computer's DisplayPort port. (There is no VGA port installed on this machine)

Both monitors are on the correct setting for detecting what cable is plugged into them. Whichever monitor the DisplayPort cable is plugged into cuts out to a black screen with nothing on it multiple times an hour during normal computing (mostly email and web browsing). Not a steady flicker, just randomly goes black and randomly comes back on.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the monitors, checked all the settings, ran the troubleshooter (no issues found), updated my graphics card driver (it was already the latest version), and nothing seems to be wrong there.

When I swapped the HDMI and DP cables to see if it was a cable issue or the physical monitor, the monitor that then had the DP cable plugged into it started to have the problem, whereas the other monitor (now plugged in via HDMI) had no problems. Originally there was a Mini DP-DP cable connecting one of the monitors and I thought maybe that was the issue, so I replaced it with a brand new DP-DP cable the other day. Still having issues with whichever monitor is connected via DP.

This computer is not even three months old. The physical cables aren't the issue and the physical monitors aren't the issue. Is there anything I can do to have the OptiPlex 3040 micro be able to have two Dell U2415 monitors simultaneously connected via Display Port and HDMI and have them work appropriately? 

Thanks in advance! I've looked at other posts on here and on Windows' support forums but haven't found anything that works yet. Beginning to think the OptiPlex can't handle two monitors.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 2nd, 2016 17:00

This does not sound like a hardware failure. Did you check/test all of the Windows 10 power management options? Specifically the PCI Express- Link State Power Management setting? Or just set the Windows 10 power management to High performance and retest. Also, if the U2415s USB upstream cables are connected to the computer, be sure to disable the USB selective suspend setting.

1 Message

May 18th, 2016 06:00

Display issue here, too.

We have a monitor plugged into the HDMI, using an HDMI to standard video adapter and DP to DVI cable hooking the other monitor in.

If that is supposed to work, it does not.

What are the recommended hookup scenarios that are 100% supported by this 3040 Micro?

1 Message

September 12th, 2016 15:00

I am having issues with new 3040 Micro's as well with the display going black and never coming back.  Updated all drivers and BIOS.  Not a monitor or cable issue, works fine on other models.  I end up remotely rebooting and sometimes even that the display doesn't come back until 2-3 reboots.  I don't get a Dell logo when it starts up sometimes, so its happening before Windows is loaded.

4 Posts

September 15th, 2016 18:00

I need to know the answer to this as well, Chris, and it would be particularly helpful to know that Dell does in fact intend that these computers support 2 monitors out of the box, and what the recommended cabling and settings are. I don't see ANY instructions available on this and since this is my first Dell that does not have a VGA connector to fall back on, this really has to work or I've got to return it. Hope to see an authoritative and conclusive post here.

[Edit:] I just looked up "Features and Design" of the Optiplex 3040 and here's something I found:

Small Form Factor Ports & Slots:
6.Natively supports 1 digital video output ( DP and HDMI ) | 7.Optional VGA

and Mini Tower Ports & Slots:
6.Natively supports 2 digital video outputs (DP and HDMI) | 7. Optional VGA

Am I reading this right? That the SFF is not in fact designed to support 2 video outputs? I'm not going to verbalize the comments that are going through my head, I just hope to get the correct answer here. 

Thanks.

Thanks.

1 Message

September 22nd, 2016 08:00

I've been trying to get a small form factor to work with 2 displays innately (without a usb video adapter) for the past few days now and nothing I've tried has worked, I had a fellow tech tell me he got it to work but he has not been able to reproduce it.

I can't tell you how frustrating this has been, why on earth would any computer shipping in the year 2016 not support 2 monitors innately ?

"Am I reading this right? That the SFF is not in fact designed to support 2 video outputs? I'm not going to verbalize the comments that are going through my head, I just hope to get the correct answer here. "

I  Just registered my account to agree with you k9gardner.

If any Dell representatives would like to give us an official answer, it would be very much appreciated.

1 Message

September 28th, 2016 15:00

I've been looking closely at the Optiplex 3040 small form factor for a rollout we've got coming up, and we're very interested in the dual monitor capability.  I have not tested it yet, but the rep we're working with suggested using MST (multistreaming) capable monitors (like the U2415) to drive two monitors from a single DP port on the computer; that is a specifically supported configuration.

5 Posts

October 21st, 2016 03:00

I like to know if it is possible to use 2 screens with the SFF model.

1 Message

October 21st, 2016 11:00

Turn off Display Port 1.2 on your monitor using the DisplayPort cable.

5 Posts

October 28th, 2016 01:00

I can confirm that the SFF model supports 2 screens(when using a HDMI->DVI adapter and a DISPLAYPORT->DVI adapter . It was all working out of the box.

So the text on the site is wrong!

Small Form Factor Ports & Slots:

6.Natively supports 1 digital video output ( DP and HDMI ) | 7.Optional VGA

1 Message

December 2nd, 2016 09:00

I am having this same issue with multiple (like 30+) Optiplex 3040 machines. Did you ever find a fix for it? We have spoken to Dell tech support multiple times and they are just as confused as we are. We have even tried to switch out the motherboard on about 30 machines to see if that fixes the issue and it has worked for a short period of time but the issue has returned on several computers. Some of the issues are on computers that are only using the display port and no HDMI, and some are using both.

What we have tried:

-switching monitors (to other brands as well as just other monitors same model)

-imaging (with our image)

-updating the drivers (video, monitor, and projector)

-updating the BIOS (some improvement after this but it does not completely fix the issue)

-switching cables

-converting back to VGA

-brought in an entire new setup from a lab and the problem still persisted

-updated the doc cam software

-Updated the Chipset

We've been working on this issue since August and have still not resolved the issue. Did you find a fix? We are now seeing the issue where the screen will not come on unless you unplug everything and reboot the machine. It's been very frustrating.

1 Message

January 24th, 2017 07:00

I am having the exact same issue as nyec2016.   Dell support has not been any help.   Has anyone found a solution?

3 Posts

February 8th, 2017 12:00

Check the adapters. These are bad out of the box sometimes. We were using a DP --> DVI adapter that came with the computer and only the HDMI port was displaying on one monitor.

We swapped out the DP -->DVI adapter with one being used on another computer (same model: optiplex 3040 with only HDMI and DP, no VGA port available).  

Now both monitors work! :)

3 Posts

March 2nd, 2017 14:00

@tezken were you having the problem where the monitors randomly go black for a second or two?  When you say the adapters can you be more specific.  What adapters are you referring to?

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 10:00

So I had the exact same issue and saw this post which ended up fixing the issue for me

"Check the adapters. These are bad out of the box sometimes. We were using a DP --> DVI adapter that came with the computer and only the HDMI port was displaying on one monitor.

We swapped out the DP -->DVI adapter with one being used on another computer (same model: optiplex 3040 with only HDMI and DP, no VGA port available).  

Now both monitors work! :)"

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 10:00

YOU FIXED MY ISSUE!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you

No Events found!