nyec2016
1 Copper

RE: OptiPlex 3040 micro, dual monitors using HDMI and DP ports, DP connection unreliable

I am having this same issue with multiple (like 30+) Optiplex 3040 machines. Did you ever find a fix for it? We have spoken to Dell tech support multiple times and they are just as confused as we are. We have even tried to switch out the motherboard on about 30 machines to see if that fixes the issue and it has worked for a short period of time but the issue has returned on several computers. Some of the issues are on computers that are only using the display port and no HDMI, and some are using both.

What we have tried:

-switching monitors (to other brands as well as just other monitors same model)

-imaging (with our image)

-updating the drivers (video, monitor, and projector)

-updating the BIOS (some improvement after this but it does not completely fix the issue)

-switching cables

-converting back to VGA

-brought in an entire new setup from a lab and the problem still persisted

-updated the doc cam software

-Updated the Chipset

We've been working on this issue since August and have still not resolved the issue. Did you find a fix? We are now seeing the issue where the screen will not come on unless you unplug everything and reboot the machine. It's been very frustrating.

govols74
1 Copper

RE: OptiPlex 3040 micro, dual monitors using HDMI and DP ports, DP connection unreliable

I am having the exact same issue as nyec2016.   Dell support has not been any help.   Has anyone found a solution?

0 Kudos
tekzen
1 Copper

Check the adapters. These are bad out of the box sometimes. We were using a DP --> DVI adapter that came with the computer and only the HDMI port was displaying on one monitor.

We swapped out the DP -->DVI adapter with one being used on another computer (same model: optiplex 3040 with only HDMI and DP, no VGA port available).  

Now both monitors work! Smiley Happy

csimonson1
1 Copper

@tezken were you having the problem where the monitors randomly go black for a second or two?  When you say the adapters can you be more specific.  What adapters are you referring to?

0 Kudos
csimonson1
1 Copper

So I had the exact same issue and saw this post which ended up fixing the issue for me

"Check the adapters. These are bad out of the box sometimes. We were using a DP --> DVI adapter that came with the computer and only the HDMI port was displaying on one monitor.

We swapped out the DP -->DVI adapter with one being used on another computer (same model: optiplex 3040 with only HDMI and DP, no VGA port available).  

Now both monitors work! Smiley Happy"

0 Kudos
csimonson1
1 Copper

YOU FIXED MY ISSUE!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you

0 Kudos
spgsit
2 Iron

OP 3040 was the worse model we ever encountered over years. Mobo failure rate was amazingly high. Symptoms were plenty, one was ie lost video from HDMI

May not be your case, but worth keeping in in mind

0 Kudos
alyon
1 Copper

Currently using OptiPlex 3046 SFF

The monitors I use are connected as follows:

OptiPlex DP Port->DP Port on Primary Monitor

OptiPlex HDMI Port->DVI Port on Secondary Monitor

The HDMI>DVI adaptor was purchased here: (HDMI Input to DVI Output Adapter Cable - 6 Feet)

www.amazon.com/.../ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

The current situation is that both monitors successfully display an extended display however the resolutions do differ slightly enough to strain my eyes. I am currently awaiting response from Dell Support for a guaranteed solution with matching resolutions.

I did account for the chance that the cord was damaged and tested with another that someone else is using in a mirrored setup. Same results with slightly differing resolutions.

Please do not purchase anything expensive to remedy this issue until I get back.. My solution was shipped over-night for less than 10$ total from Amazon.

Expensive Alternatives:

www.pcnation.com/.../Tripp-Lite-3-Port-DisplayPort-1-2-Multi-Stream-Transport-MST-Hub-4K-x-2K-B156-0...

This HUB should do the trick but I am not purchasing until Dell promises me it will work.

If you have purchased the Tripp-Lite DP splitter hub and are currently using it to display an extended desktop on 2 or more monitors with matching resolutions, please let me know!

0 Kudos
gpjandra
1 Copper

Only using HDMI ports (not DP or DVI adapters) and still getting issue described in posts. What other solution is there?

0 Kudos
gpjandra
1 Copper

Was there any solution found using HDMI ports?