sofsoldier
2 Iron

OptiPlex 330 will not restart or shutdown.

Greetings,

This is a strange issue. All of a sudden, the computer will not restart or shut down. What happens is when I do either one, Windows Vista does its thing shutting down, the screen goes black, then the power light stays on, the the hard drives works for a few seconds. The power will stay on until I hold the power button down for a few seconds to shut it down. When it finally shuts down, the power lights, and fan go on for a fraction of a second, then the computer is finally off.

Turning the computer on is just fine and everything works fine when I am in Windows. Nothing freezes, no overhating, in fact I will say this is the most stable computer I have used.

What is different from stock:

-Upgraded to Windows Ultimate

- Added RAM for a total of 4GB

- Upgraded video card to Quadro FX1700

-Added an RME 9632 Audio Card

-Added a TI based Firewire card

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
surfingdi
1 Copper

Re: OptiPlex 330 will not restart or shutdown.

Last time I had this problem it was caused by spyware/adware.  Try using Spybot or other spyware tool...:)
0 Kudos
sofsoldier
2 Iron

The problem has fixed itself. I have things set for auto scanning so your recommendation is the likely candidate for a solution. Thanks!
0 Kudos
surfingdi
1 Copper

Auto scanning is good but regular updates of software is important (once a day is good).  Most programs now have auto update but sometimes you have to enable it.Smiley Wink
0 Kudos