Highlighted
artfest
1 Copper

OptiPlex 7040MT Windows10 OS not on SSD drive why did Dell install OS on slower of 2 drives Dell?

Two drives on system 265GB Samsung on motherboard and 1TB drive internal bay.

Dell installed OS on drive 0 (C) 1TB (slower drive) and the SSD drive(fastest) drive 1 (E) blank empty.

Make no sense to me.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
7 Plutonium

RE: OptiPlex 7040MT Windows10 OS not on SSD drive why did Dell install OS on slower of 2 drives Dell?

The de-trapping mechanism of solid state drives causes them to lose data in as little as a few hours at high temperature.   Shipping isn't done in refrigerator cars and the the inside of a trailer can get over 150 degrees in the summer.   Hard drives retain data for decades even in harsh environments.

60ºC= 140.0000ºF The inside of cars can get up to 140 degrees or more when sitting in direct sunlight. You’ve heard the danger before of leaving pets and occupants in vehicles unattended. No air circulation is one of the many reasons why passengers are not allowed to ride in the back of a shipping truck/van.

DETRAP

Over time, charges can Over time, charges can detrap

– The effect will cause data loss According to a presentation by Seagate's Alvin Cox, who is also chairman of the Joint Electron Device Engineering Council (JEDEC), the period of time that data will be retained on an SSD is halved for every 5 degrees Celsius (9 degrees Fahrenheit) rise in temperature in the area where the SSD is stored (without power).SSDs drives are only expected to retain data for a period of three months(Without power in a hot environment) at very high temperatures this can be 7days or less. Very high meaning 150F as in the trunk of a car or in a delivery vana fact confirmed by Samsung, Seagate and Intel's own ratings on their products. These temperatures would also kill human beings. So its not the in your house use they are worried about its the transport to your house.

These tables go to 55C the grey area shows that weeks go to zero at higher temps with no power.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/205382-ssds-can-lose-data-in-as-little-as-7-days-without-power

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro