Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 21st, 2014 19:00

OptiPlex 755 won't resume from S3 sleep, 3 and 4 lights lit

Hey,

Got a 755 SFF running Windows Vista from an image which works fine on 745 and Precision T3400 systems. The only issue I'm running into is that sleep mode works, but it will not resume from sleep in S3 mode.

The power button blinks normally, then when I go to turn it back on I get a solid green power light, nothing on the screen, and the 3 and 4 lights are lit, which mean " Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred." So there isn't a BSOD or anything as the computer never actually "turns on".

This happens consistently, I have swapped RAM several times (currently has 4x1GB identical sticks) and ran memtest86 on the current configuration with no errors and it's still not working, so it's not the slot or the RAM. I have the latest BIOS version and all drivers are fairly up to date.

I turned on S1 sleep (which keeps the fan running, etc.) and then resume works just as intended.

I just can't pinpoint what kind of software issue would cause this, or if there's a hardware issue as I have never had this issue before (this system has not been used in several months).

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 22nd, 2014 07:00

• If you have one memory module installed, reinstall it and restart the computer. (see Memory for instructions on how to remove and install memory modules.)
  • If you have two or more memory modules installed, remove the modules, reinstall one module, and then restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module. Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
  • If available, install properly working memory of the same type into your computer.

4 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 12:00

SpeedStep, if you did not read the topic, please do not reply. I already stated what the issue is (memory modules detected, but a memory failure has occurred) and stated that I swapped memory several times (with entirely different sticks) and I even went the extra step and tested with memtest86. Thank you. 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 24th, 2014 06:00

Cloning or duplicating an installation without taking the recommended steps could lead to duplicate SIDs. This is not supported by Dell or Microsoft. When you deploy a duplicated or imaged Windows installation, it is required that the System Preparation (Sysprep) tool is used before the capture of the image. Sysprep is responsible for removing system-specific data from Windows, such as the Computer SID. During installation of Windows, a computer SID is computed to contain a statistically unique 96-bit number. The computer SID is the prefix of the user account and group account SIDs that are created on the computer. The computer SID is concatenated together with the Relative ID (RID) of the account to create the account's unique identifier.

November 21st, 2014 09:00

SpeedStep, I don't even know how you consider your SSID post 'relative' to the issue. 

His issue is hardware related.  I have the proof it is not isolated to his system.

Sysprep and duplicate SSID's problems don't even begin to exibit their symptoms until the NTOSKRNL.EXE is executed, and you try to function on the network, in which case, Windows is operating, and resumed.

NOT RELATED TO WHAT HE IS ASKING, in which case you HIJACKED this thread presumably for 'bonus' points in your participation statistics; which I've perpetuated by even posting this reply to you!!

November 21st, 2014 09:00

We are having this issue.  We have about 24 OptiPlex 755's, that we've owned since new in 2008.  This issue is appearing on a new system every two - three weeks right now, for the last 4 months.

We've swapped RAM with known good, symptom remains with computer.  Swapped identical video, symptom remains with computer.  Swapped processor, symptom remains with computer.  Swapped HDD, assuming it might be corruption with pagefile.sys or hiberfil.sys while entering sleep due to software related corruption.  Symptom remains with computer/motherboard, not HDD.

At this point we've deduced it to an internal failure in the motherboard, and we replace the system.  I have about 6 of these on a pallet.  If there is a reasonable repair procedure, I'd love to get a few more years of life out of these systems.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 21st, 2014 13:00

Microsoft and Dell do not support cloning.They do support installs based on sysprep and scripts. "running Windows Vista from an image" sounds like cloning to me.

"  I have the proof it is not isolated to his system."  No Idea where you are going with that.

Bad Ram is bad ram.Swapping incompatible or bad sticks with other sticks does not make them good again.

Bad Caps could also be an issue. If it resumes fine from S1 sleep then it may be a power supply issue. However Driver and Registry issues could also be a problem based on Cloning .

I'm not paid for participation and so statistics are not relevant. 

"NOT RELATED TO WHAT HE IS ASKING" is also incorrect.   I have responded based on what is being said.

No Events found!