hcochelpdesk
1 Copper

OptiPlex 780 Tower will not post

OptiPlex 780 Tower - Power light solid amber , blinking 1 & 2 diagnostic lights, cpu fan is blowing loud - I have removed all expansion cards, have tried different memory, have swapped out MB and processor.  Results still same.  Power supply tests good.  When first power up - only solid amber light, then  DVD drive blinks a couple times, then CPU fan begins blowing loud and  I see the blinking 1& 2.  There are no beep codes.  What is the issue?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

RE: OptiPlex 780 Tower will not post

Hi HCOCHELPDESK,

Thank you for writing to us and providing the details.

The diagnostics lights indicates a motherboard failure.

We see that you have swapped out the motherboard as well, can we know what was the exact issue after the replacement?

Was there any change in the indicators?

Please private message us the system service tag.

Kindest Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
hcochelpdesk
1 Copper

After swapping out the board, the symptoms are the same.  I am not able to send the information you requested - When I click on your name, I did not see where I could private message you.

0 Kudos

Hi HCOCHELPDESK,

Thank you for trying that step.

You will need to add me as a friend, after which you will get an option to send me a private message.

Kindest Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
#IWork4Dell

DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
hcochelpdesk
1 Copper

I now have another machine from the same school that has a solid amber power light and diagnostic lights 1 and 2 blinking.  I changed out the MB. I also changed out the power supply on this 2nd machine because it didn't pass my tester - not that it mattered, because it still has  the same symptoms as before changing out the hardware.

0 Kudos

Hi HCOCHELPDESK,

Request you to send the service tags in the private message.

You will need to add me as a friend, after which you will get an option to send me a private message.

Kindest Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
#IWork4Dell

DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos