Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2014 17:00

OptiPlex 9010 USB 3.0 not working

I recently received a used Optiplex 9010.   I installed a new SSD with a fresh copy of Windows 7 Pro.  All is loaded and fine, but I found that the front and rear USB 3.0 ports are not working.  BIOS setting is enabled for these ports, and I installed latest drivers from Dell's site.  Device Manager doesn't show any exceptions.

Ideas or suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 5th, 2014 19:00

And is it 64-bit Win 7?

Did you install the Desktop System Software as the very first driver installed after loading Win 7? And did you follow that in order with:

1. Intel Chipset Driver
  2. Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver
  3. (Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Application - for the 9010 AIO)
  4. Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver

And note the tower and AIO may not necessarily use the same versions of these drivers so be sure you select the right system form factor and the right version of Windows before downloading any drivers.

8 Posts

December 5th, 2014 17:00

It is the 9010 OptiPlex mid-tower chassis.

8 Posts

December 6th, 2014 09:00

Hi Ron,

Thanks so much for the response.  I did not follow any particular order when loading the drivers.  Before I reformat and start again, I looked on Dell's site for my service tag, and it listed the following.  Could you let me know a bit more detail on the which ones I should load and in which order.  I don't know what some of these are and whether they are needed or not.

Dell Command | Update
Intel HD, HD 2000/2500/3000/4000 Graphics Driver (except Latitude XT3 tablet)
AMD Radeon HD7470/7570/6670 Graphics Driver
Dell OptiPlex 9010 System BIOS
Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver
Intel Chipset Driver
Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver
Realtek ALC269 High-Definition Audio Driver
Intel Rapid Storage Technology F6 Driver
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver
Intel 825xx 10/100/1000 Ethernet Network Drivers
Intel Device Manager Diagnostics

8 Posts

December 6th, 2014 10:00

Hi Ron,

Yes it is Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Based on your guidelines and the guidelines on Dell's site for order of driver installation, I came up with the following list.  Could you please review and provide your feedback on whether you think the sequence is correct or not.

Thanks,

1  Dell Command | Update  (is this even needed)
2  Intel Chipset Driver
3  Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver
4  Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver
5  Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (is this even needed)
6  Realtek ALC269 High-Definition Audio Driver
7  AMD Radeon HD7470/7570/6670 Graphics Driver
8  Intel HD, HD 2000/2500/3000/4000 Graphics Driver (except Latitude XT3 tablet)
9  Intel 825xx 10/100/1000 Ethernet Network Drivers

?  Dell OptiPlex 9010 System BIOS
?  Intel Rapid Storage Technology F6 Driver
?  Intel Device Manager Diagnostics

8 Posts

December 6th, 2014 13:00

Hi Ron,

Well, I loaded everything in this order, and it is now working.  Thanks again for your guidance.  I would have never guessed that the sequence was so critical.

1. Dell OptiPlex 9010 System BIOS
  2. Intel Chipset Driver
  3. Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver
  4. Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver
  5. Realtek ALC269 High-Definition Audio Driver
  6. AMD Radeon HD7470/7570/6670 Graphics Driver
  7. Intel 825xx 10/100/1000 Ethernet Network Drivers

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 6th, 2014 17:00

Glad it's working...but...ummm...did you load Desktop System Software before the chipset driver?

And yes, order matters. :emotion-5:

8 Posts

December 7th, 2014 05:00

Ron,

I did not load Desktop System Software.  I did not see that anywhere in the download list.

Is it needed, and if so, where can it be downloaded?

Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 7th, 2014 11:00

Your bad. I told you to install DSS first, ahead of the chipset in my very first post here. :emotion-4:

Download it to your desktop and reboot in Safe Mode (reboot and press F8). When you get to the desktop in Safe Mode, double-click on the DSS file. You probably won't see anything happen, but wait a few seconds and then reboot normally.

EDIT: Some versions of DSS self-install. Others just may unzip but not install after you click the desktop file. So be sure to note the folder name where it unzips and then migrate there and click on setup.exe to install it.

And as it says on that page:

If you are reinstalling the operating system, it is important that this software be installed first.

8 Posts

December 7th, 2014 14:00

Yep, my bad.  I looked right past it on your post and just looked at the numbered items.

Since I have everything loaded and it appears to be working great, is there any particular issue that I should see by not loading it?  Performance and response seems greate and no stability issues that I see.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 7th, 2014 16:00

Dell never publishes what DSS is designed to do and it varies by model. It's usually how Dell fixes all their "oops" in the way they implemented hardware interactions with Windows in each model.

So you have to decide what to do...leave it alone unless/until you have problems or start over with a clean installl...

8 Posts

December 9th, 2014 04:00

I will leave it for now unless I see any problems.  Soon I plan to move up to a larger SSD, and at that time I will most likely re-install the OS from scratch.

Thanks again Ron for all your guidance.

No Events found!