Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2014 16:00

OptiPlex 9020 SFF Power Problem

We recently received a shipment of OptiPlex 9020 SFF computers. When I shutdown the computers. They will not power on. I have to unplug the power cable.  I tried putting the PC on a UPS.

When I do finally get the PC powered on, the power button is blinking amber. There is a 'blink code.'  It's blink,blink.....blink.  two blinks, a pause, and the a single blink.

We (IT staff) did report this to Dell. A technician replaced the power supply and the motherboard, but that didn't resolve the problem.

Please help!  We'll be opening a new library in three weeks, and all of our new 9020 sff PCs seem to have this problem.

7 Posts

October 15th, 2014 11:00

having the same problem on 4 Optiplex 9020 SFF

the blink code describes a Mainboard Error,\

Dell hotline suggested disconnecting all USB devices, but this is hard to test since the error doesnt always happen. Afterwards they suggested disabling DEEP SLEEP CONTROL in BIOS.

I'll see what happens this week....

On one one of these for the problem hasn't shown up since I connected all USB devices though an USB hub... 

to be continued...

2 Posts

December 11th, 2014 18:00

AJA 28- I am having the same problem with an Optiplex 9020 purchased in Nov 2014 and with the replacment Dell sent in Dec 2014.  How was your problem resolved?

2 Posts

December 11th, 2014 18:00

December 14th, 2014 08:00

I am having the same problem with an Optiplex 9020 purchased in 2014 and with the replacment Dell sent in Dec 2014.  I will try disabling DEEP SLEEP CONTROL in BIOS and then the USB hub and let you know the out come. Like you know it will take a while to know if the problem is truly fixed.

December 14th, 2014 09:00

I forgot in my just posted reply that the problem seems to stay in the same physical locations were the 9020 is installed. We have close to 100 of the 9020's and it seems like there are 2 different company departments in different buildings that have had this problem on 10 of them. The rest of them scattered throughout other various departments have had no problem. I can swap a failing 9020 with a working 9020 in the same department and the failing 9020 will continue to have the same problem 2 or 3 days later. If I take that failing 9020 to an area with other 9020's that I have had no such problems, that 9020 never failed again. Has anyone else seen this type similarity.      

1 Message

May 7th, 2015 06:00

Indeed am having the same related power and blinking issues. we bought Dell optiplex 9020 on Nov 2014,and recently about 10 of the 100 units are having such problems of only amber light blinking and non booting of the system unit.

Please any solutions so far?

thank you

June 16th, 2015 21:00

Please help us

I have nearly same issue with optiplex 9020

when i press power button no thing coming

I have two with the same model one of them not working

I have to replacement every thing inside the box

I think my problem in the main board

1 Message

July 6th, 2015 12:00

I unfortunately bought new DELL OptiPlex 9020's for my office and they are only 7 months old and not happy at all!  The hard drive on one unit crashed so they overnighted a hard drive.  That then crashed a week later!  Then two weeks later, another one of our units would NOT turn on!  DELL seems to have quite a few issues about this problem based on this forum!  I contacted DELL on June 18th and they could not confirm the delivery date of the replacement part which they said was the Power Supply.  After nearly 10 days, the part arrived and a DELL technician came to the office on June 30th to install the part.  What a surprise to find out the computer still does NOT WORK!  I am now waiting for a new Power Supply and a Motherboard as well and no ETA as of yet!  I had to fight with DELL to send the Motherboard as they only wanted to ship another Power Supply!  Such poor customer service...these computers are obviously CHEAPLY MADE!  It will be nearly 3 weeks that my employee has no access to their computer - such great "next day business service"!    I wish I could return all of the DELL computers that I purchased.    Posting this on FACEBOOK as well so other people can properly read about the computer issues with the DELL OptiPlex 9020! 

1 Message

September 16th, 2015 10:00

I just had the same problem with an Optiplex 9020.  After replacing the entire system it turned out to be a defective power cord.  The first one I have seen in years.

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 13:00

I have had two OptiPlex 9020 systems come up with power light blinking amber. The fix for both was updating the BIOS. No issues since.

My company has 200+ 9020 computers in service. They have been very reliable with next to no issues.

Good luck with the problems you are having.

1 Message

December 25th, 2015 07:00

I have the same issue with a customer's PC.

But I find your solution puzzling. 

How can you update the BIOS if you cannot power on the computer?

1 Message

May 9th, 2016 09:00

doing a bios update didnt fix the issue.

No Events found!