Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2011 11:00

OptiPlex 980 Dell computer - Firewire Card

Hello guys,

I have an OptiPlex 980 Dell computer, and this computer was acquired in Brasil. I need a firewire PCI on this computer, because it will work in treating images. The Dell PCI Firewire is not sold in Brasil. I've got talked with the Basil’s Dell support, and they cannot help me with this issue.

So, as I cannot get this PCI firewire I gently ask for somebody else inside Dell tells me what is the PCI firewire brand that I can use in this computer, because if I try to put other than Dell, the computer crashes all the time.

I think this is an absurd. You sell a product in a country, but some parts don't and beyond that you don't give any alternative to the customer to acquire the item in other places. For now I'm kindly asking for help, using the support Brasil and this forum, because I paid an expensive value to have this machine, and now it is useless; because I've been working just with images.

So, please tell me what firewire I can use or allow this PCI card to be sent to the Dell Brasil, and I will pay the necessary value.

Att,

Ernani Medeiros

<ADMIN NOTE:Email id removed per privacy policy>

<ADMIN NOTE:Service tag removed per privacy policy>

ISSUE: <ADMIN NOTE:Issue No. removed per privacy policy>

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 14th, 2011 11:00

You should look for a Firewire card that is PCI 2.2 or PCI-E with 2 keyways and texas Instruments chipset or lucent Chipset.

Non Universal 5v only Keyed cards WILL NOT WORK in the 980.

Dell - IEEE 1394a FireWire Controller Card for OptiPlex 740 / 980 Desktops
/ Precison T3400 / T5500 / T7500 Workstations / Vostro Desktop
Usually Ships 1-2 Weeks
Manufacturer Part# C9214
Dell Part# 341-6116

In 1995, Texas Instruments pioneered the introduction of 1394 in the consumer electronics market with the first 1394 silicon in a digital camcorder. Since then, TI has continued its 1394 leadership by developing specific, affordable parts for digital A/V consumer products, including HDTVs, set-top boxes, A/V receivers and DVD audio. Beyond individual A/V applications, TI is addressing Home Networking solutions using 1394. These solutions will not only be simpler to use, but will reduce system costs, and protect digital content. TI continues its 1394 leadership in other areas, too. These areas include: PC applications, consumer electronics, industrial automation and controls.

1394 Trade Association and HANA

1394 Trade Association Logo    1394 Trade Association actively promotes the proliferation of the IEEE 1394 Serial Bus standard technology into the computer, consumer, peripheral, and industrial markets to enable a truly interoperable, standardized, universal I/O and back plane interconnect.

HANA’s Logo    (High-Definition Audio-Video Network Alliance) HANA’s focus is to deliver products that will simplify consumers' lives by eliminating the difficulties associated with connecting and controlling their entertainment devices. Consumers will be able to view, pause and record more than five HD channels simultaneously with full quality of service.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 14th, 2011 12:00

The cards from LaCIE etc are alternatives. IOGEAR would be another vendor that would have a good card.

Make sure if its PCI that it has 2 KEYWAYS aka 3.3V AND 5V KEYED or the card wont work.

3 Posts

November 14th, 2011 12:00

SpeedStep, thank you for your interaction. I'm glad to see there is people interested in help others yet, but Dell should do this!! We're customers, don't we??!!! I'll getting alternatives for now. Thank you again.

11 Posts

November 14th, 2011 21:00

Another UEFI BIOS Issue! Most likely this card isn't being detected in the UEFI boot sequence, try to see if you have a Legacy Boot option to get the card to detect.

3 Posts

November 15th, 2011 03:00

The card was detected by the windows 7 64 bits. However, it crashes trying to install the drives. If I ignore this attempt and remove the possibility of the windows try to install the driver the computer crashes anyway. I tried both (ignore) and don't (ignore) digital signature, and this was useless too. I tried to put the card in a HP computer running Linux CentOS 5.5 64 bits, and the card was recognized at the first attempt. So, the problem is not in the card.

11 Posts

November 15th, 2011 06:00

Ah so in your case you did get the card to detect on boot, and instead you have a driver issue, what is the model number of the card you are using? Because you are running 64bit windows you will need a signed driver in order to work.

No Events found!