Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 25th, 2017 07:00

OptiPlex 990 BIOS update from A18 to A19 failure

I recently purchased a refurbished OptiPlex 990 because it seems to be the most recent system that can still run Windows XP (SP3, 32-bit). The system appeared to be never used aside from initial configuration. After software installation, I tired the BIOS update to A19, on reboot, after the Intel RAID BIOS, there are several line of warnings: 1) air temperature sensor not detected, system fan failure, keyboard initialization not detected etc.

The system fan is running but I cannot do anything because it will not respond to the keyboard. I tried both PS2 and USB. The keyboard lights come on during power up, but then go off.

Can this be fixed, or do I need to buy a new system?

4 Posts

April 26th, 2017 10:00

ok, it seems the A19 BIOS update did not like the Dell P2815Q monitor connected via display port, but switching another monitor, U2713 or other over VGA works. Furthermore, it turns out that the software package for which this system was purchased does work with Windows 7 32-bit, so all the heart ache of learning to install Win XP was for naught!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 25th, 2017 12:00

Did the BIOS update work?

If this system has been sitting idle for a long time, it's likely the motherboard battery died so you probably should replace that before going any further. CR2032 3-volt lithium ion battery, ~$2 at discount stores.

If you installed XP on this system, did you install all the hardware drivers, and in the correct order?

www.dell.com/.../advanced

Dell System Software

Intel Chipset

Intel Management Engine 7.1 (A05)

Intel AMT

NEC USB 3.0

Video: Intel HD and for whichever add-in video card is installed

Realtek ALC269 High Definition Audio (A13)

Network (Depends on which controller you have, and which WiFi)

Other drivers

4 Posts

April 26th, 2017 05:00

I installed Windows XP,

then installed the drivers below, the network drivers was installed first.

Afterwards, there were no unknown devices in device manager

The OS was then patched with many reboots

After every thing else was done, I updated the BIOS,

from Windows XP, it identified the installed BIOS as A18

and that the package was A19,

On proceeding, the system went into restart.

On restarting, it went past the Intel RAID detection, correctly identifying 2 drives in RAID1,

then there were 4 messages, a thermal sensor not detected, a fan failure, something else

and finally, keyboard initialization failed

I tried both PS2 and USB keyboards

this last item prevents me from enter BIOS or anything

Yes the system had been sitting in storage somewhere before I purchased it,

but the battery still worked, there are no messages saying dead battery, I have seen these before

What is stopping me now is the keyboard initialization failure

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 26th, 2017 10:00

Glad you got it sorted. Look at it this way, you learned a few things about BIOS updates, your monitor, and drivers.

Wouldn't have expected the monitor to be the problem and I just assumed you specifically needed XP for something...

No Events found!