Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 15th, 2015 15:00

OptiPlex 990 Not booting after BIOS flash

I have an OptiPlex 990 that multiple problems after a power surge, so I replaced the power supply, motherboard and installed a new hard drive. Once I got everything put back together, I booted up the system and tried to update to the latest BIOS, A19.

The prompt said it would replace X17 with A19.  During this process a error prompted me that A05 must be installed first. I did that and got a "Bios Update Successful" message. but the PC did not reboot. After messing with removing cards it does not POST, just reboots a few times then hangs. I can get it to start by clearing the CMOS by removing the battery, but once I exit Setup or try to launch diagnostics or boot from an OS disk, the machine just restarts and hangs with the numbers 2,3,and 4 lit up with a blue Power LED.

Any Ideas as to what I can try short of calling this one dead as well and getting another motherboard?

Thanks,

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 16th, 2015 12:00

Dell does make revisions of boards for the same model, if parts become unavailable, if they find/fix a problem, etc. Only Dell will know for sure the actual differences between these two boards.

Did you check your USB devices?

What happens if you boot from a bootable CD/DVD such as your Dell Windows Reinstallation disk?

Did the replacement board come with a warranty? You might go back to the seller and request a replacement or refund...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 15th, 2015 17:00

2,3,4 with blue power button, from the manual:

A possible USB failure has occurred.  Re-install all USB devices and check all cable connections

Is the motherboard identical to the previous board?

Is the USB controller enabled in BIOS setup?

Can you try a different mouse and keyboard (assuming they're USB)? Disconnect any other USB devices, too...

December 16th, 2015 06:00

New motherboard is not completely  identical, same layout, but different part numbers. I am digging through google searches to find out if new one should be for a different model, but both part numbers show to be for the 990.

The original board has a part number of 06D7TR

Replacement board is labeled part number 0GMRY7

December 16th, 2015 12:00

I tried swapping the USB keyboard for a PS/2 and no change. No other USB devices connected.

No matter what I select from the boot options, an error will come up saying "Invalid Configuration! Time and Date not set" Run Setup"

After Setting time and date the system shuts down and will not boot again unless CMOS cleared.

Seller has offered to replace it, and has no technical knowledge so couldn't tell me much. Only thing I ever found referencing a X17 Bios was from a Ubuntu site, so no idea. 

Thanks for help, though.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 16th, 2015 13:00

Dead motherboard battery?

I don't see any X# version of BIOS listed for any of the officially released versions for the 990.  So I wonder if somebody forced an incorrect BIOS on this board.

Get another motherboard with an official version of BIOS, and maybe better from a different seller. :emotion-5:

No Events found!