Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 19th, 2016 09:00

Optiplex 3010 Blurry VGA No Boot with Add-In Video

Purchased a 3010 SFF from the Outlet.  Installed Win10 and everything else I needed and assigned it to my user.  She is using Dual Monitors, one via Onboard HDMI and one via Onboard VGA.  The VGA side is "blurry"

I have tried:
New Cable
Updated Drivers
Updated BIOS
Different Monitor

No matter any of those, the onboard VGA is blurry.

So I decided to drop in a PCIe SFF Add-in card.  With this card installed, the system does not boot at all.  The system will turn on, full fan, then off, Then on again and sit there with no video.

If I connect the video cables to the onboard WHILE the add-in card is in, I get the usual "Unsupported Video..." error.

I have no idea what to try next.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 19th, 2016 12:00

Do you know that add-in video card actually works?

Is it in the PCI-e x16 slot? And have you tried reseating it in the slot?

Have you tried clearing BIOS with that card installed?

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall battery
  6. Close up and reboot

Using onboard video, have you tried changing the resolution for the VGA monitor? Does Win 10  correctly identify the VGA monitor? Does it need its own driver?

Did you install all the right Win 10 drivers from Dell's site, including the chipsets?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 19th, 2016 13:00

Try turning Secure Boot off in BIOS setup which should allow those drivers to get installed...

29 Posts

I have not tried pulling the BIOS battery, I guess I could.

Win10 identifies both monitors as Generic PNP monitors.  They are both the same monitor model.  I have tried forcing drivers from Asus for the monitors but they are not signed for Win10 and fail to install (Win 8.1).  I did install all of the Drivers available on the Dell site for this PC and Windows 10.

I have tried two different PCIe x16 cards.  Both exhibit the same behavior (no boot).  I have pulled and retried each card multiple times, so I don't think it is a seating issue.

As far as I know, the cards work.

29 Posts

We have a ton of these Asus monitors and various machines.  I checked the few Win10 machines and they all report as "Generic PNP Monitor".

I'll try though.

No Events found!