Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2012 07:00

Optiplex 3010 with third party RAID controller

Hi,

I installed an Adaptec 1220SA RAID controller in an Optiplex 3010 and have two HDD's attached to it. There aren't any drives connected directly to the motherboard. Neither the RAID card nor the drives attached to it are visible in BIOS, so they can't be chosen as boot devices.

The machine starts OK, goes thru the initialization of the RAID controller OK, but then it stops with a 'No hard disk drives detected' warning, giving 3 choices: continue, go to bios, go to the self test utility.

However, if F1 (Continue) is pressed, it boots up perfectly from the RAID drives and everything works as expected.

Any ideas how to get rid of that error/warning message?

1 Message

January 8th, 2013 22:00

Hi nehamanoka,

i had the same problem like you, only with a Optiplex 7010 and also an Adaptec 1220SA and an Promise Fasttrak TX 2300 raid controller.
(press F1 to continue...)

I also tried a lot and on my 7010 it's working with the following (Dell) BIOS Settings:

General - Boot sequence: Internal HDD
System Configuration - Integrated NIC: Enabled w/PXE

I have no idea why it is now working and i had not the problem with a Optiplex 790.

hth

5 Posts

December 5th, 2012 08:00

If i uncheck 'Internal HDD' as a boot device option in CMOS setup, it doesn't boot at all.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 5th, 2012 08:00

CMOS Setup should not have any Drives listed to boot from.  The Drives on the controller are handled by a bios rom on the controller.  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 5th, 2012 10:00

The Adaptec 1220SA RAID should have a boot bios.

This is not a dell product.  This is not the Adaptec Support Forum.

Adaptec - Adaptec SATA II RAID 1220SA

www.adaptec.com/.../aar-1220sa

Bios Updates and Other Downloads Downloads
Date Filename Description
8 Nov 2010 1220SA BIOS Build 2507 BIOS Update Version 6.0-0 Build 2507 for the Adaptec SATA II RAID 1220SA
Product Documentation
SATA II and SAS HostRAID - Installation and User's Guide (Dec. 2007) 
Note: Selecting the boot controller is done using the system BIOS Setup Utility. Launching the
system BIOS Setup Utility varies depending on your computer model. Refer to your computer
documentation for instructions on how to access the system BIOS.
1 Enter the system BIOS Setup.
2 Navigate to the disk drive boot sequence.
3 Move the boot controller to the top of the list.
Use the ACU to make the array bootable
(see Managing Bootable Arrays and Devices on page 73).
Continue with Installing the Driver a nd an Operating System on page 42.

5 Posts

December 10th, 2012 05:00

Whoah. I was just asking for help. I don't really see why you got so angry about this.

This is in fact a Dell product, namely a PC, having lots of empty slots to expand it - as it should, by definition, being a good old-fashioned PC. So I feel entitled to ask for help if I plug in a card and something looks weird.

I'm good at making these RAID cards work. I know how to set them up. I know where to find their latest bios. i know how to upload them. If i didn't know all these things i'd still have google, just like you do. 

This RAID is set up, working OK, bootable, lastest bios. I might be stupid and overlooking something trivial, but you don't have to feel obliged to answer.

Now. Dell. PC. Third party accessory card. Dell error message. Any ideas?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 10th, 2012 07:00

3rd Party Card is not supported by Dell.    There is no "anger" in any portion of the previous post.  Merely statement of fact.

5 Posts

December 10th, 2012 07:00

Again, I'm looking for advice and/or tips here for a question about a computer that was designed to be expandable. I'm glad I've found the Voluntary Dell Police, but that's not what I was looking for.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 10th, 2012 08:00

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-3010_Owner%27s%20Manual2_en-us.pdf

Being less Terse and Passive Aggressive is more likely to be the path to help.

Under CMOS Setup the Boot Sequence may need to be changed.

Allows you to specify the order in which the computer attempts to find an operating system from the devices specified in this list.•

USB Storage Device•
CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive•
Onboard NIC

If you have a serial port set it to COM1 rather than Auto

SATA Operation
Allows you to configure the operating mode of the integrated hard drive controller.•
Disabled = The SATA controllers are hidden•
ATA = SATA is configured for ATA mode

Drives
Allows you to enable or disable the various drives on-board:•
SATA-0•
SATA-1•
SATA-2•
SATA-3

OROM Keyboard Access
This option determines whether users are able to enter Option ROM Configuration screens via hotkeys during boot. Specifically, these settings are capable of preventing access to Intel RAID (CTRL+I) or Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension (CTRL+P/F12)

•Enable — User may enter OROM configuration screens via the hotkey.

•One-Time Enable — User may enter OROM configuration screens via the hotkeys on next boot only. After next boot, the setting will revert to disabled.

•Disable — User may not enter OROM configuration screens via the hotkey.

5 Posts

December 14th, 2012 12:00

SpeedStep, I sincererely appreciate all the effort you've put in this.

I went thru all possible dell bios setting variations of sata controllers/drives enabled/disabled, boot order, etc. as suggested, to no avail.

I have a working RAID 1, it is bootable, but not before pressing F1 as an acknowledgement of the bios detecting no hdd-s attached.

I've googled around - this is no new thing from a dell pc. However, I still beleive it's an Optiplex 3010 bios flaw that this "no hdd" warning can't be turned off - by setting on-board sata drives to 'disabled' or any other way.

I've given up. omitted the adaptec card and went for a simple w7 sw raid1.

Sppedstep, thanks for all your help, though.

1 Message

May 29th, 2013 00:00

Hi,

same problem here

Optiplex 3010 and a sunix sata 2400 raid controller

The (DELL) bios settings described by Hlassnig worked:

General - Boot sequence: Internal HDD
System Configuration - Integrated NIC: Enabled w/PXE

thanks

Pieter

2 Posts

August 26th, 2013 09:00

Hi,

i Have the Same Problem with an 2013 Dell Optiplex 7010 Minitower,  but no one of the Solutions Fixes my Problem.

Dell Optiplex 7010 with Adaptec 6805e Raid controller.

The Controller will not be detected by starting the System. I tried many Bios Setting it dont work.

No Chance to Get into Raid Controllers Bios

Any Ideas?

Regards

CHris

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 26th, 2013 12:00

It is very unlikely to be detected in the X16 video slot on a 7010.:emotion-3:

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 26th, 2013 12:00

Adaptec RAID 6805E 8 internal port, low-profile MD2 with PCIe x4, SAS 2.0 and Gen 2 PCI-Express (PCIe) Unified Serial RAID.

This card will not work with Secure Boot UEFI and WIN8 and may need SERR turned off AND CSM (legacy) mode turned on.

It may also require firmware update and is not supported by Dell as the Optiplex 7010 is not an ESX server.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/downloads/bios_fw/bios_fw_ver/productid=sas-6805e&dn=adaptec+raid+6805e.html

2 Posts

August 26th, 2013 23:00

Hi Speedstep thank you for the Answer.

Firmware ist the newest from Adaptec like 19109 i tried also any other Firmwares.

And it Wont be Detected on the Blue X16 Slot till now. So i dont try this Slot any more if you tell me it is unlikely.

It will be detected on the Black X16 Slot which is wired as X4 but here i get some Messages Like "Bios not installed" and "no int 13 drives to support"!

Is there any chance to get this Controller Running on a 7010? Next Questions are there known Raid Controllers who will work with the 7010?

So what is SERR and where can i Turn off UEFI and Turn on Legacy. I tried some Things but i think the UEFI is always on at Background.

Regards

Chris

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 27th, 2013 12:00

Class 3 bios has no CSM.

Drivers and Bios and other items WILL NOT EVER LOAD with UEFI turned on because they do not have a security certificate blessed by the Microsoft Protection Racket.

No Events found!