Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 20th, 2015 07:00

Optiplex 3020m Amber Blinking Power Button

Has anyone else with this model been experiencing issues with the PC shutting down, and then blinking orange amber light on the front?

We have 100 of these and had this problem on a few of them. The blinking pattern is 2 then 1, which Dell says is system board failure. But resetting the power fixes it till it happens again. The first time it happened we replaced the PC, and the same thing happened. So we replaced the power adapter, and the same thing happened. Then we took a whole new PC out of a box and finally that person didnt have the issue again. But now someone else is.

1.2K Posts

May 20th, 2015 08:00

Hi ,

These models have clearly indicators of  faulty component with the help of power buttons which blink accordingly .Now when the power button is showing blinking amber with pattern of 2 and then 1 it shows that system board is faulty . I can assist you with the service call ,do provide the service tag info ,system owners details ,contact no ,physical address ,invoice copy (sent via private message ) so that I can verify the same to arrange for service call.

Hope to hear from you soon .

Kindest Regards,

23 Posts

May 28th, 2015 13:00

Well the thing is weve had 5 or so do this, out of 90. Im worried Im going to be replacing motherboards for the next 5 years on this model.

23 Posts

June 1st, 2015 06:00

At the moment, Im testing a theory that the USB devices are drawing too much power. The power adapter for the 3020m only makes 65 watts, and the user has keyboard mouse, scanner, printer, webcam plugged in.

1.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2015 04:00

Hi ,

Here in this case I would suggest you to go to system BIOS and disable USB Power share ,then update system BIOS (make sure all subsequent BIOS versions are downloaded and installed before installing the current version  ) .

Also would request you to try confirming with the users while they are shutting down the system ,do  they turn off the peripheral devices as they are connected to the system since it could be possible that the system board could be damaged due to short circuit caused by one of these devices when the system is power on .

I hope this helps .If there are any more questions do write to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Kind Regards,

December 22nd, 2015 09:00

Any update on the USB drawing too much power?  I just bought a bunch of these and encountered this problem also.

1 Message

November 9th, 2016 12:00

I do IT for local businesses that has a fleet of Dell PC's and just encountered this on an Optiplex 3020.  Worker was actively using the computer with MS Office when it shut off and refused to turn back on. Constant flashing, no pattern.  Unplugged power cord to drain caps and plugged back in, no change. When powered on no POST, no display, only orange flashing power button of death.  Told them to call Dell support to see if they're still in warranty for it.  

A dead 1-year-old Core i7 PC! Huge disappointment! I hope Dell will take care of them.  The fact it's only a year old is very concerning for the longevity of the PC.  For a non-technical person they might have lost all documents on the HDD due to this.  For businesses IT can easily get the data off manually.  It really takes a chunk of time and tediousness to backup data from a failed PC.  Puts a cramp in my day when motherboards die.  

Do you want to buy an expensive PC that only lasts a year? If you say yes then buy an Optiplex 3020.

No Events found!