Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2017 15:00

Optiplex 3030 AIO - cannot install / upgrade Windows 10 anniversary ( 1607 )

Dear all,

here's a weird issue with an Optiplex 3030 AIO on a customer site...

The system was initially bought with Windows 7 Pro SP1 and back then in late 2015

updated to Windows 10 Pro. Everything was OK so far with this setup - no issues at all.

However - this specific 3030 AIO tries to apply the anniversary update (1607) as well - but fails.

When it's doing this from within windows itself it reboots automatically (as part of the update process)

and starts applying the update - but will hang there at 30% for days (started update at friday afternoon - met customer at monday... and the Optiplex 3030AIO still showed the spinning circles

at 30 percent.

We tried this 3 times within the last 8 weeks (and cleaned up SoftwareDistribution\ folder after each fail) with no success in installing the anniversary update. After a cold reboot - Windows 10 rolls back

to the previous version and keeps working fine until the Windows Update magic decides that it's time

for the automatic upgrade again...

When this happened for the 4th time (earlier this week) we removed this Optiplex 3030 AIO from

the customer site and thought it would be good to reinstall from scratch -  using the latest installation media (USB) offered by the most current media creation tool.

Problem - we cannot even do a clean install of the anniversary release - although DELL claims that

the Optiplex 3030 AIO is fully supported (see SLN297954 in DELL knowledge base).

When doing so it never finishes the (last) 'Finishing up' part in the stage where it shows the current status and each completed stage gets a green checkmark.

What we've done so far:

1. did ran the builtin diagnostics - but skipped the HDD part (smartctl from a linux live cd showed
    no errors) - no errors
  2. tried a couple of known to work USB sticks with the anniversary installer - some even newly
    recreated using the latest media creation tool
  3. we even tried an anniversary DVD iso

... all attempts failed with the same phenomena (never finishes the 'Finishing up' stage).

What we've also tried:

1. we ran the installation using the very first (august 2015) DVD iso of Windows 10
    ... wow, this works - but...
  2. ... as soon as the very first Windows Update run tries to apply the anniversary update (1607)
    we're back at our problem (hangs at 30%)

This Optiplex 3030 AIO was part of a bigger order (including server) and we (the customer) is

still eligible for next business day onsite until somewhere in 2019.

Tried to open a ticket over here in germany - but the DELL support clerk refused to do anything because he insisted that this is a software issue and he cannot do anything for me (... offered me

payed software support and even suggested that we ask microsoft for support). There was no way

to convince him...

We're - however at a loss and hints are most welcome!

Thanks for (quite long, sorry) reading...

February 17th, 2017 15:00

To answer your questions:

• Bios is latest as of 2017-02-15 (which is A10)
  • I did load optimized defaults after flashing.
  • No other modifications done within BIOS (except activating HDD smart).
  • UEFI
  • secure boot off
  • there is not so much 'etc.' when performing a clean install from a mediacreationtool.exe
  • media creation tool as of 2017-02-17 / installation usb stick was recreated today too
    (stick integrity has been checked too)

HDD was fully wiped after each testing attempt.
The internal builtin diagnostics tool (let it fully complete today) did not bring up errors too...

But nevermind - I eventually came across a solution myself...:

During previous failed installation attempts (when it started to 'hang') I noticed that I 
couldn't run 'DISKPART' in the shift+f10 console.
I therefor concluded that it possibly might have issues reading from the HDD
(or something close to this)...
I therefor checked which Intel AHCI driver might suit best for this chipset (H81)
and decided to F6 load the corresponding driver I've chosen (13.1.0.1058 / f6flpy-x64.zip).
This seemed to did the trick and the installation finished without glitches and even
survived all following windows updates.

So - for at least me this works now.

[ however - might be worth checking internally by some DELL tech /testing team ]

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 17th, 2017 10:00

What version of BIOS? The latest is A10, here:

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

And how is BIOS set?

1. UEFI or Legacy?

2 .Secure boot on/off

3 .Etc

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 18th, 2017 12:00

Glad you got it sorted. I wonder if BIOS was set to ATA instead of AHCI to begin with...?

February 21st, 2017 12:00

Nope - sorry, because:

1. the BIOS defaults to AHCI (although ATA can be chosen as option)...
    ... and loading optimized defaults ensures that AHCI is active
  2. this would have been a noob mistake :emotion-1:

cheers

1 Message

March 12th, 2017 08:00

hi!

I have ti exact same problem, except I don't know where to begin fixing it. From this answer, I understood that there is a driver issue. I found the mentioned driver from intel (f6flpy-x64.zip) but I don't know to "F6 load" the driver.

My configuration is set up pretty much as described in the original post:

• Bios is latest as of 2017-02-15 (which is A10)
  • I did load optimized defaults after flashing.
  • No other modifications done within BIOS (except activating HDD smart).
  • UEFI
  • secure boot off

How do I fix this?

thanks

March 25th, 2017 18:00

@mhosannah

F6 loading the driver is when you provide a specific driver during the initial windows installation...

...it refers to the F6 key on your keyboard.

I assume that you're installing the most current windows 10 release (provided by the most current mediacreationtool.exe download) using an USB stick.

Simply download the corresponding driver

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

and unzip this driver onto the same USB stick.

When you then boot your Optiplex 3030AIO from this stick... and the windows 10 installation process

is about to start... you'll come across a menu where you can partition/format your harddisk(s) and where you can decide where to install windows 10... within this menu (lower left corner IIRC) there should be an option to 'load' a specific driver. Use this option and navigate to the unzipped folder on the

USB stick in order to load this specific driver then.

HTH! :)

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 31st, 2017 06:00

If you fail to install the F6 mass storage driver it will not allow installation.

A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now.

No Events found!