Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2016 16:00

Optiplex 3040 USB Device Not Recognized Error

I am using a Trendnet KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) device to switch between this Optiplex 3040 and an HP PC. Every time I switch back to the Dell I get an error saying USB Device not recognized. I have used this same KVM on several different PCs and it always works fine.

Any suggestions, please?

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 21st, 2016 19:00

Version of Windows?

You can try this:

1. Open device manager
  2. Expand list under USB
  3. Double-click a USB Root Hub
  4. Click its Power Management tab
  5. Uncheck box "Allow PC to turn off..."
  6. Repeat for all USB root hubs
  7. Now expand list under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager
  8. Double-click each entry and look for a Power Management tab (not all will have it)
  9. Uncheck that same box for all entries with Power Management tab
  10. Reboot

See if that solves the problem...

12 Posts

July 22nd, 2016 17:00

Hi and thanks for the reply. The OS is Win7 Pro (sorry for not including that).

I tried your suggestions and yes, some boxes were checked but, after clearing all appropriate boxes, the problem persists.

bob

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 22nd, 2016 18:00

Go to Windows 7 Power options screen. Click the link to change settings for the currently used power plan (radio button "checked"). On next screen, click link to change advanced options.

In  list at left, look for USB Selective Suspend and DISable it. Be sure to apply the change to the power plan, and save the change, if that's requested. Exit and reboot.

See what happens now...

12 Posts

July 25th, 2016 17:00

Tried as you suggested but, still the same error. The first time I switch to the Dell it works, When I switch to the other computer (by now I have used TWO other computers) and back to the Dell, I get the error.

Thank you for your effort.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 25th, 2016 19:00

You're not making this easy!

Go to the Power plan Advanced options screen again, and this time disable Hybrid Sleep.

Are the other PCs all Win 7? You might want to compare USB settings on those that work with the Dell.

Does the KVM have its own driver?  Did you install it on the Dell? You might also go the KVM's site and look for an updated driver, or maybe contact their tech support to see if they have any recommendations.

No Events found!