Highlighted
shialevi
Copper

Optiplex 3040 with VGA

in the past with the optiplex 3020 I was able to connect a VGA monitor even thru the DP, by getting a $10 converter from DP to VGA.

in the 3040 model, they dont work. not a DP-VGA nor does the HDMI-VGA work.

Is there any way for me to get my VGA monitor to work on the 3040 computer? Even just one monitor would help. Or would I have to buy a new monitor with digital connection??

Thanks,

Shia

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RoHe
Diamond

RE: Optiplex 3040 with VGA

What form factor 3040, mini-tower, small form or micro form?

Do you have an add-in video card or only onboard Intel video?  A VGA port was extra-cost option on the 3040.

Have you checked BIOS setup to make sure the video output is set to Auto?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
shialevi
Copper

1) small form factor

2) I do not have an addon card.

3) I did not check , will do so later this week when I will be in from of computer. If it will be on "auto" the converter will work?

Thanks for answering.

0 Kudos
RoHe
Diamond

Setting that to Auto should only make a difference if you have an add-in video card.   Without an add-in card you can set it to either Intel HD Graphics or Auto, but try Intel HD.

Don't know why the adapters aren't working. Is this a brand new PC? Or has it previously worked with any monitor?

Can you borrow a DP or HDMI monitor to see if that works with this PC? That way you can figure out if there's a PC video output problem or an adapter problem.

If it's not a PC problem and you want to keep using the existing VGA monitor, you might considering installing a PCI-e x16 video card with a VGA port.  Might be cheaper than a new monitor. NOTE: this system only supports Half height cards so make sure whatever card you consider meets that specification. And be sure to set BIOS to Auto.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos